Looking to take up wood turning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

This is my first post on the site so go easy on me :D

I am very interested in starting wood turning and would like some information as to what is the best way to start up (what equipment to get etc)

I have seen some lathes on ebay starting at around the £140 mark and going upwards to over £500, now I don't know anything about wood turning but I am assuming that these lathes for £140 aren't that good (or are they?). The same goes for a set of chisels, I have seen some on ebay for £20 for a set of 6, now I do know a bit about wood working and I know that £20 chisels will not be decent and that I will have to pay £50 upwards for a set, is this the same for turning or am I looking at even more than £50 for a basic set?

I have also heard that you need a chuck (along with the lathe), what is the purpose of a chuck and would it make a big difference if I didn't bother with one to begin with?

Apart from the items that I have mentioned is there anything else that I would need to start turning? Space isn't really an issue for me as my dad has a joinery shop so I can keep the lathe there and they also have all of the necessary extraction equipment which is a bit of a bonus!

Thanks for looking and I look forward to reading your replies!!

=Adam=":176imf8g said:
Hi everyone!!

This is my first post on the site so go easy on me :D

I am very interested in starting wood turning and would like some information as to what is the best way to start up (what equipment to get etc)

If there's a local woodturning club (they're fairly common), I'm sure the members would be happy to advise, demonstrate, let you have a go etc.

The local library may be a good first start for finding a club.

BugBear

I never even thought of a local wood turning club!

I am sure there is one locally as I have heard some customers talking about it when they come and pick up some off cuts from the work shop.

Thanks for the links, I will have a look at them as soon as I have a bit more spare time!

hi adam
and welcome.
first thing you should get is this book - 'woodturning, a foundation course' by kieth rowley.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fou ... 032&sr=8-1
i think its safe to say most of the guys (and girls) on the forum would say it is worth its weight in wood. it has simple straightforward advice and instruction on what you need, and how to use it, and a few projects to get you going also.

i suppose the minimum you will need is ...
a lathe :shock: -
a method of fixing wood to lathe
some gouges (chisels)
a sharpening device
safety gear

I've only been turning for about a year so my knowledge and experience are limited so everyone feel free to correct me, but as with all tools, buy the best you can afford.
NEVER buy cheap tools or cheap toilet paper, at some point you'll end up in the .... :shock:
if you're on a limited budget id go for a used better lathe rather than a new cheaper one. most of the usual suspects, record power, axminster, jet, etc are fairly robust items so buying used is not too risky. if youre lucky you may find a 'retirement' or 'i didnt really get in to it 'bundle' on the likes of ebay that has everything you need to start ... like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-woodtu ... 3a6eeb2208
if not ...
lathes - record power, axminster, jet, magma titan :shock:

a method of fixing wood to lathe - a two/four prong drive and a 4" faceplate will get you going. a scroll chuck and jaws would be nice but will cost anywhere between 75 and 200 quid.

some gouges (chisels) - robert sorby, ashley isles, crown, henry taylor, reord power and axminster.

a sharpening device - minimum of a bench grinder with approprite wheel and a homemade sharpening jig for holding the tool at the correct angle to be sharpened. something like this http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... %20GRINDER which happens to come with a suitable 'white' wheel, and a homemade jig as in the rowley book. or a tormek or sorby proedge type thing if you are rich!

safety gear - minimum of goggles and a decent respirator/ dustmask. apart from the usual dust, a lot of the 'pretty' woods can be toxic if ingested. a small coaster to put over the top of of cup of tea is also adviseable :)

wow! thats my longest post ever i think. sorry to waffle but i dont think theres a short answer :oops:
there is a woodturning/crafts weekend soon, 21st jan, at the botanical gardens just down the road from you http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/whats-on/events/
most of what ive rambled on about is in keith rowleys book, it really is worth the investment. i still go back and refer to mine every now and and then when i have a senior moment.
hope thats of some help

Also does anyone know of any large retailers that stock that magazine? Tesco, ASDA, WH Smith?

I think I will buy it and doa bit of background reading :)

nev":eevx7ljy said:
hi adam
and welcome.
first thing you should get is this book - 'woodturning, a foundation course' by kieth rowley.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fou ... 032&sr=8-1
i think its safe to say most of the guys (and girls) on the forum would say it is worth its weight in wood. it has simple straightforward advice and instruction on what you need, and how to use it, and a few projects to get you going also.

i suppose the minimum you will need is ...
a lathe :shock: -
a method of fixing wood to lathe
some gouges (chisels)
a sharpening device
safety gear

I've only been turning for about a year so my knowledge and experience are limited so everyone feel free to correct me, but as with all tools, buy the best you can afford.
NEVER buy cheap tools or cheap toilet paper, at some point you'll end up in the .... :shock:
if you're on a limited budget id go for a used better lathe rather than a new cheaper one. most of the usual suspects, record power, axminster, jet, etc are fairly robust items so buying used is not too risky. if youre lucky you may find a 'retirement' or 'i didnt really get in to it 'bundle' on the likes of ebay that has everything you need to start ... like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-woodtu ... 3a6eeb2208
if not ...
lathes - record power, axminster, jet, magma titan :shock:

a method of fixing wood to lathe - a two/four prong drive and a 4" faceplate will get you going. a scroll chuck and jaws would be nice but will cost anywhere between 75 and 200 quid.

some gouges (chisels) - robert sorby, ashley isles, crown, henry taylor, reord power and axminster.

a sharpening device - minimum of a bench grinder with approprite wheel and a homemade sharpening jig for holding the tool at the correct angle to be sharpened. something like this http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... %20GRINDER which happens to come with a suitable 'white' wheel, and a homemade jig as in the rowley book. or a tormek or sorby proedge type thing if you are rich!

safety gear - minimum of goggles and a decent respirator/ dustmask. apart from the usual dust, a lot of the 'pretty' woods can be toxic if ingested. a small coaster to put over the top of of cup of tea is also adviseable :)

wow! thats my longest post ever i think. sorry to waffle but i dont think theres a short answer :oops:
there is a woodturning/crafts weekend soon, 21st jan, at the botanical gardens just down the road from you http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/whats-on/events/
most of what ive rambled on about is in keith rowleys book, it really is worth the investment. i still go back and refer to mine every now and and then when i have a senior moment.
hope thats of some help

Wow that is a very informative post! Thanks for the advice!

I think the craft fair will be definitely worth going to just to get a feel for what it is all about!

With regards to the safety equipment and the sharpening tools, they are all available to me in the workshop, there is a grinder along with numerous sharpening stones plus headphones and dust masks galore! That should save me a bit of money which is quite nice!

Do you have a link to the sort of 4" drive that you are on about so that I can have some sort of idea what I would be looking for. Also is it safe to say that the chucks and face plates are universal or are they model specific?

Thanks for the help once again!

Edit:

Can I also ask if you think that the £250 buy it now price that they have put on that kit is a fair value? It looks like it includes everything that I would need to start :)

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum .Nev has given you all the right advise and the lathe on the Bay is an excellent choice ,it seems to have every thing you would need.

Hi Adam,
The chucks and faceplates are threaded and there are a number of different thread sizes used on different lathes so they aren't all interchangeable. Also, most lathes have a morse taper hole in the spindle and tailstock for drive centres, live centres, jacobs chucks etc. These also come in different sizes so you need to make sure you get the right size for your lathe. Most lathes use either 1 or 2 morse taper (sometimes written as MT1 or MT2) but some larger models use MT3 or possibly even larger.

If you are looking for a club, try the AWGB website at http://www.woodturners.co.uk, they have a list of all affilitated clubs.

=Adam=":3uwa0kyr said:
Do you have a link to the sort of 4" drive that you are on about so that I can have some sort of idea what I would be looking for. Also is it safe to say that the chucks and face plates are universal or are they model specific?

Thanks for the help once again!

Edit:

Can I also ask if you think that the £250 buy it now price that they have put on that kit is a fair value? It looks like it includes everything that I would need to start :)

i didnt see the buy it now price, but yes i think i'd be happy to pay that. its a decent starter lathe, the chuck and gouges would probably set you back at least 150 if you were to buy them new and all those little 10 quid bits soon add up, so a fair price i would say, and it looks to be looked after. (and theres a 4" faceplate is at the top right of the pegboard)

theres one here http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... ct&seq=342

as far as chucks and fittings go, unfortunately there are lots of variants (different size threads) so you need to get the right one to match your lathe. just search the forum for 'which chuck', theres plenty of reading there!

the 'drive' bit of the lathe is a (hollow*) threaded shaft to which the chucks and faceplates attach so you need a matching thread. in records case it is 3/4 x 16 (3/4" dia with 16TPI - threads per inch)
*the hollow bit is the other (primary?) way of fixing the work to the lathe by means of a morse taper (MT) again record is a 1MT. so your 1MT prong drive is a push fit into the 'drive' shaft, this then pokes into the centre of the wood to be turned. there is also a similar setup in the tailstock for the other end of the wood.

theres a guide here http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... sef=Lathes

please note - i am only pointing out the record power stuff cos its what ive got and what i know. there are other manufacturers out there, some better and some far worse.
hth

I have had my Record CL1 for about 15 years now and I would recomend it to anyone starting out. I have done an upgrade to mine by fitting a 3ø motor with variable speed, but that was after I had been using it for about 13 of those years. It's a good lathe and big enough to do up to 14" bowls and down to 1/12th scale dolls house plates, bowls and candle sticks :mrgreen:

I think that the kit on E-bay would be exactly what you need. As has been said, it's all there and it isn't rubbish!

Good luck and welcome to the slippery slope!!

That ebay auction would be a bargain at £250, but I'd be willing to go to £350ish, it's a cracking beginners setup.

You may be intrested to learn that there are evening classes at Coleg Sir Gar in Llanelli about four nights a week, that's where I started off. The tutor, Johno DeFillipo (now that's a traditional llanelli name if ever i heard one) is a top man, he'll give you loads of support whilst letting you carry on with your own projects at your own pace. It's probably the wrong time of year to start on the course as they run Sept. to July, but you've nothing to loose in phoning him to see if he has any spare places. Johno may actually be demonstrating for the college (publicity stunt) at the wood show in the Botanic Gardens, he usually does at the Timberman show in Carmarthen.

Cheers
Aled

=Adam=":1s4tzqj9 said:
Edit:

IMO the only reason that this hasn't gone to anyone for £250 yet is the location (and possibly the lack of an up front BIN price) If collection works for you I would buy it in a moment. The extras and odds and ends all add up quickly and looking at those listed this represents a pretty balanced aquisition trail. I suspect he hasn't got it up with a reserve of much less so if you make a decision I wouldn't wait.

Good luck

Aled - Thanks for the reply! I didn't spot this a few days ago when I posted. I am going to go to the show next weekend and I will keep an eye out for the college stand as it may be worth a go!

I have also spotted that someone who has posted has said that the lathe isn't a variable speed one, is this much of a problem? I don't want to spend that much money on something that would not be suitable.

Also it was mentioned that it is possible to do a motor upgrade so that it can become variable, can I have some more details on this please and the associated costs.

Thanks for the info guys!

=Adam=":4dzj9q6r said:
I have also spotted that someone who has posted has said that the lathe isn't a variable speed one, is this much of a problem? I don't want to spend that much money on something that would not be suitable.

Also it was mentioned that it is possible to do a motor upgrade so that it can become variable, can I have some more details on this please and the associated costs.

i believe the CL1 is a 3 speed model, but to change speeds it is a manual (5 second) operation (move belt to different pulley) as opposed to an electronically variable speed. for twenty quid you can upgrade to a 4 speed manual http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... ct&seq=356
the electronic variable kit is 500 quid! and not available for the cl1.
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... 20Upgrades

i would imagine it will take a while before you outgrow the cl1 or similar at which time you may want more than a vs kit for your upgrade.(especially for £500)

How do you switch speed manually? Is there a lever?

I am going to see that lathe tomorrow and will hopefully be coming home with it :D

I know the lathe is advertised as a swivelling headstock, does that mean that I can move it off centre to gain more access for bowl turning? Or is that wishful thinking on my part?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.669249,-4.055646

Latest posts

Back