Looking for employment as a cabinet maker?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Critchley

Reaction score
Hi, I've just signed up on here and I'd like to ask people where they would look to find employment as a furniture maker. I run a busy workshop in Greenodd, The Lake District and we are currently having real trouble finding workshop staff. There are heaps of ways to advertise, but it gets fairly pricey, which is fine if it works!

So, where would you look first? Oh, and feel free to get in touch about a job!

Cheers,

Dan

The first place I ask when looking for a job is always friends and aquintances and their aquintances.

In your situation I would ask your local sawyer and various suppliers if by chance they know someone who is laying off personnel. Timber merchants tend to know when a joinery or furnituremaking business is shrinking or has gone bust because they loose sales themselves. Then call and ask if somebody is on the dole. An enterprizing and motivated employee will most likely have tried to spread the rumour that he or she is on the dole and up for grabs.

That is how I get jobs and how many of my friends do it. We are all sick and tired of all those consultants and human resources people and employment agency clerks who want us to pretend to be the ideal employee....... and all employers looking for an employee who is good at pretending.
Better to run on'e own race and get a job one as competent to do properly.

Depending what you're looking for you could directly approach the Edward Barnsley Workshop to see if any of their apprentices will be seeking employment at the end of their time there and would like to move to the lake district...

My understanding is that the Edward Barnsley Foundation exists more or less to take people already skilled as woodworkers and teach them the finer points of the Arts & Crafts school of furniture making, to preserve it for the next generation.

You would get a journeyman rather than a seasoned craftsman, but that would be no bad thing in terms of their fitting in to your way of working.

I always look on the government's Job Centre website first whenever I have been after work. I always tend to avoid the ones where the employer isn't listed though. I like to deal directly with the employers rather than an agency.

MrYorke":24pxdwex said:
http://www.guntree.com = Free

Do you have a Facebook page? = Free

Twitter = Free

:)
I hope you mean gumtree as guNtree is flagged as a potentially dangerous site by malwarebytes.

by the way if you edit the subject and add a question mark people will realise from the listing you are looking to employ rather than loking for a job yourself.

I used to use a local free paper as every household gets them, the ads do cost though. The important thing is to run the ad for at least 4 weeks to get max chance of either people looking for a job seeing it or those that know someone that might be interested in the job and telling them. Running a single ad is virtually a waste of time IMO. You could apply same principal to Gumtree I guess - just keep paying to bump the ad to the top all the time and sooner or later someone will spot it and mention it to someone else etc

Wildman":2gmujj0u said:
MrYorke":2gmujj0u said:
http://www.guntree.com = Free

Do you have a Facebook page? = Free

Twitter = Free

:)
I hope you mean gumtree as guNtree is flagged as a potentially dangerous site by malwarebytes.

Yup, sorry about that. Changed it

I'm looking for work and if I were any closer I'd be interested. The commute right now would be awful.

I tend to look on places like the indeed app. It is incredibly difficult to separate decent jobs from scams and sales jobs, however. I used to work in the media and that was just as impossible. Every employer seems to think they can tag their job advertisement with 'media' as it is such a vague word do you end up with thousands of results only a few of which might be any use.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back