Looking for advice on buying chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the links again - the stone i have is way smaller than I thought, and is actually only about an inch wide, by maybe 5" long.

Just realised as well though, I do actually have a stone that looks vaguely similar to the one you linked to so I'll find it and see what it is. It's some horribly cheap thing I think - can't even recall where/why I have it!!

Jacob":3fu21z6p said:

Unless the Marples blue chip have improved in the last 20 years I would disagree with this. I bought 4 or 5 of them for their supposed Marples quality and none of them will hold an edge. I've got one of the 373's and it´s much better, but what I really like are my old Sandviks. Plastic handles so you can hit them with anything and they cut through end grain like a knife through butter. Plus the blade is a bit shorter than others and not so top heavy to use.

I'm my opinion the Irwin marples are rubbish, I had a set of old marples which were stolen so I replaced them with new ones which I've never been happy with. Recently I took my time and got a full set of old marples and sorby bevel edge chisels from eBay buying one at a time. They are lovely to use and all hold an edge well. I don't think I payed more than a tenner per chisel. I use the marples for heave hacking jobs.

Cret":7z32kzux said:
Really appreciate all the replies and suggestions thank you.

I LOVE the look of the Narex 8116 with the dark stained handles - very VERY tempting, but I haven't yet read up about all the other ones suggested so I must do that first before deciding anything.

One question I do have re' Narex chisels specifically - is there any real difference between the 8116 and the 'premium' ones they do for about the same price or is it just the handles that are different?

Current set is a Magnusson set from B&Q for reference/comparison. I'm going to make myself sound like an oaf here and confess that I never realised until now that chisels needed honing even when brand new! Embarrassing, but I'm new to doing this stuff the proper way.

I own a honing guide similar to this, but I don't think I can use it on small chisels can I?
I need to investigate what kind of stone etc I should use for chisel sharpening too. I've got a stone that was my dad's, but am unsure of how it is meant to be used (dry/oil/water etc) as I've very little experience of correct tool sharpening technique.

I have the 8116 in the tool shop with the natural handles I have chosen to stock these over the black handled ones as in my experience they stay looking better for longer (the black stain gets knocked in use). I do have a set of the Premium in the store room that I got in to see the difference (as market research :wink:). They have a larger brown stained handle and the blades have been finished/polished to a higher level than the 8116, but I feel this extra bling has taken a little accuracy out of the chisel, similar to some crown chisels I have seen in the past that have been polished to make them look good but have damaged the chisel in the process IMO.
I should Ebay the set of Premiums, but if any wants them then PM me.
I hope this explains the difference as I see it Cheers Peter

Thanks Peter - I did ponder a little on the longevity of a stained finish, but I really like the look of the black ones and the premiums compared with the natural finish, and it's not like they're going to get a massive amount of use due to the small amount of time I get to spend on this hobby.

Is it possible to elaborate a little on why you think the polished finish on the premium version has damaged them or taken accuracy out of them? Not asking because I doubt it, but because I know nothing about why that would happen from them being polished.

Could be tempted to take them off you so I might drop you a PM with a couple of questions.

Cheers
Jim

BTW, these are the two stones I've got. Sure the first is just for razors from what it says and the size of it. No idea what grits the other one is though as it isn't marked....

BC7DB93D-94DE-4648-B20A-4F5FFA390C1A_zpskfiq90yq.jpg

DDD34873-BEAE-4265-ABA7-13488FF0F0BB_zps2mpmahkz.jpg

heatherw":1qju1xp8 said:
Jacob":1qju1xp8 said:

Unless the Marples blue chip have improved in the last 20 years I would disagree with this. I bought 4 or 5 of them for their supposed Marples quality and none of them will hold an edge. ......
"Holding an edge" isn't everything. I like various blue handled chisels I've have because, thought they don't hold an edge quite so well as others, they are easier to sharpen. As a consequence they are probably sharper for longer, as there is less disincentive to stop and hone. Stanley 5001s are very hard in comparison and so are perhaps better set aside for paring only.
It's all a compromise - hardness also usually implies brittleness and greater probability of chipping. At the extreme of this is the blunt soft steel cold chisel used for stonemasonry.

Jacob":pbzuh3sa said:
heatherw":pbzuh3sa said:
Jacob":pbzuh3sa said:

Unless the Marples blue chip have improved in the last 20 years I would disagree with this. I bought 4 or 5 of them for their supposed Marples quality and none of them will hold an edge. ......
"Holding an edge" isn't everything. I like various blue handled chisels I've have because, thought they don't hold an edge quite so well as others, they are easier to sharpen. As a consequence they are probably sharper for longer, as there is less disincentive to stop and hone. Stanley 5001s are very hard in comparison and so are perhaps better set aside for paring only.
It's all a compromise - hardness also usually implies brittleness and greater probability of chipping. At the extreme of this is the blunt soft steel cold chisel used for stonemasonry.

I've got to agree with Jacob on this point. My Marples cheapies don't really hold their edge for long, but they are sooo easy to get sharp - whatever method you use. In the workshop I tend to use the Tormek but on site I'll use whatever is handy which could be an old Norton India Stone, a credit card diamond stone, a pen size sharpening rod or an inverted belt sander. Either way i can get them pretty good in very little time.

What I do always do is get the backs nice and flat when they come out of the box. I use the side of my Tormek wheel for this. I find that this definitely makes it easier to get a good edge when re-sharpening.

Well it's kind of looking like I might be getting myself a set of Narex Premium chaps.... \:D/

Cret":3hq8zdet said:
Well it's kind of looking like I might be getting myself a set of Narex Premium chaps.... \:D/

Well done, i'm sure you will enjoy using them. :)

heatherw":1tl4w4i8 said:
Jacob":1tl4w4i8 said:

Unless the Marples blue chip have improved in the last 20 years I would disagree with this. I bought 4 or 5 of them for their supposed Marples quality and none of them will hold an edge. I've got one of the 373's and it´s much better, but what I really like are my old Sandviks. Plastic handles so you can hit them with anything and they cut through end grain like a knife through butter. Plus the blade is a bit shorter than others and not so top heavy to use.

Person after my own favourite tools!
Sandvik saws and chisels rarely seen today! I am looking for a 38mm bevel edge, should any become available.
Regards Rodders

I must say, blackrodd, I´ve never had any problems honing the Sandviks, a quick rub on the oilstone, and they're done. They´re hollow ground, of course, which speeds things up a lot.

Thanks guys - can't wait for postie to bring them now so I can try them out!

Appreciate all the input and advice, thanks very much, and the nice bargain with Peter of course for the chisels. ;)

Well I got an 'present' delivered today, and very happy about it I am too! :D

4BAFB826-E15D-46C0-8170-332DEC9AC21F_zps01l4puue.jpg

Very nice indeed, although I haven't used any of them yet. Presume I need to hone them first?
One thing I thought was slightly odd is that the handle on the 10mm one is bigger than the handle on the 12mm one! Seems peculiar.
I'm not the slightest bit bothered by that but does anyone know if that's normal?

Imagine my surprise then when I happened to buy a woodwork magazine today to see what sort of things I'd find in there, only to see someone linked to these very chisels in there! :shock: What are the odds of that!

And my boss had a present for me today too:
Some big chunks of what I think is mahogany?
51890F75-D1A8-48D4-9D62-2E9CB537EF97_zpsbdkano2j.jpg

Close up to see a bit better:
B16B571C-6771-4C6B-BAC1-C98D0FB86265_zps7sxe94hy.jpg

Plus the new blade for my bandsaw came today too. Although it was advertised as a starrett one and appears to be branded as "Nutool" or "HandyPower". Not impressed by that. :(

Anyway - thanks very much Peter for the chisels. Very pleased :)

Hi Cret
I am pleased the chisels made it to you Ok, If i remember they went out on Wednesday so not to bad to the Isle of Man. I must say I hadn't spotted the difference in handle size :oops:
I always feel you get a better edge on new chisels and plane irons if you regrind/hone into fresh steel and even more so in Narex the steel is better 1mm in.
Thanks for the mention we did get a very positive review in Good Woodworking last week that was good to see, and a rather cheesy photo in The Woodworker for the new Midlands Woodworking and Power Tool Show, I would much rather a picture of me working than trying to smile under pressure :)
Cheers or should I say Cheese Peter

Don't worry in the slightest about the handles Peter - as I say I'm not bothered remotely, but curious really as to whether it's intended for some reason or someone being a bit sleepy in the factory! :D Makes no difference to me either way, I love how they feel compared to the cheap B&Q ones they're an upgrade from!

I think I will be practising my honing/sharpening on the old chisels first before doing it on these beauties to do it with at least some degree of familiarity.

Wish there was something like your workshop courses to go to over here on the rock though! I'd love to do that sort of thing.

Cheers
Jim

Hi

There seems to be some variation between most of those handles, (unless the camera is playing tricks). I'm no expert, but as someone who generally buys in 'sets' believing that similar handles remove one of the variables in tool use / presentation I think I'd be tempted to try and fettle the handles more uniformly. Apart from that, a nice looking set of chisels.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back