Looking for a part share in a Cabinet Making workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and hope you might be able to help me....

My boyfriend is a Cabinet Maker in the Surrey / Hampshire area and has agreed to make me a kitchen and fix a couple of things around the house on the condition that I can find him a workshop to share!!!

He is currently working for a Cabinet Makers full time and borrowing the machines whenever he can....
Does anyone know of a good place to go to find out about renting / buying workshops???/

I hope you can help.... my kitchen depends on it!!!

:roll:

I remember seeing a couple of adverts in the woodworking magazines in WHSmiths for bench space, might be worth a look in there.

Thank you!!!

I am off to WHSmith's tomorrow and will follow the link now too..

Thanks!!!!

Janey

Furniture & Cabinet making would be the best one to look at they sometimes have bench/workshop space advertised.

Jason

I think there was a post on this topic recently - if I can find it I will post the link.

Cheers

Karl

jasonB":1fu1t97h said:
Furniture & Cabinet making would be the best one to look at they sometimes have bench/workshop space advertised.

Jason

Agree with Jason here, tho' nothing in this month's edition as far as I can see - Rob

Hi Janey,

I hope I can be of some help.

It would seem that I am in exactly the situation that your boyfriend would like to be in. I share a workshop with another cabinetmaker - we each own around half the equipment and all costs are split down the middle. This enables us both to retain our independence while incurring only half the costs that each of us would have if we each had our own premises. I can't recommend the arrangement highly enough; but that is because it works for us.

It works for us because we are of very similar temperaments and get along well. We are the same age (mid forties) and have similar life experiences. We are also at around the same skill level although with different specialities - mine is finishing, his is turning and carving. We are also accumstomed to a similar level of tidiness/messiness! All this is very important as in a workshop environment one spends more time with one's colleague than one does at home with one's partner. It is very much like a marriage - compatibility is essential!

I would suggest that if your boyfriend is serious about going down this route to setting up on his own that he starts 'networking' with local cabinetmakers. This can just involve popping in, introducing himself, and having a chat. Nearly all woodworkers are friendly folk who like nothing better than downing tools for half an hour and having a chinwag over a cup of tea. This is exactly how I met Phil, the guy I now share a workshop with.

If he wants to narrow things down a little, have a word with one of the sales reps who call at his current place of work. I'm referring to the reps for companies such as Hettich, Winzer Wurth, or Hafele. They will also be calling on all the other cabinetmakers in the area and will know if any of them might be struggling to cover his overheads alone or might be receptive to the idea of a workshop share.

Another thought is the place he is now working at. Is it a big place or just your boyfriend and his boss? If the former, does he have a colleague who might want to set up a workshop with him, either as a business partner or simply sharing the costs? If the latter, he might be surprised how amenable his boss could be to the idea of changing the working arrangement.

The link posted by Andy is far too expensive. The key to making a good living as a self-employed cabinetmaker is low overheads. An average guy should be able comfortably to produce around £1200 worth of work per week. Deduct material costs of about 15% and you are left with a gross profit of £1000(ish). How much you actually earn then depends entirely on your costs. If your overheads are £100 per week then you earn £900. If they are £500 a week you only earn £500. This is why workshop sharing is such an attractive idea!

I wish your boyfriend well with his plans. If you (or he) have any questions then please PM me and I will happy to try and help. Also get him to post on the forum. We could do with some young professional blood on here to balance out all the old blokes in their garden sheds! :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Dan

Hi

I have a well equipped workshop 30ft by 15ft which I only use at weekends near Junction 5 M3 , I would be happy to discuss renting this out in the week .
It has :
Spindle Moulder
Saw bench
Planner thicknesser
Dust and air filtration
Bandsaw
Heating
Thanks
James

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for all the replies.
I am going to get Rob set up on here so he can have a read and reply.

..... my kitchen seems ever closer

:D

yeh get him on here so we can convince him he needs a new arrangement of festool tools to make that kitchen :whistle:

I dont suppose your still looking for a workshop share... its only 8 years later, and considering the small unit shortage in the area, I wouldn't be surprised if you were still looking!

Ryan

Back