Looking for a Good Stop Off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I will be travelling South in the near future and would like to break my journey somewhere in the Lake District, preferably not too far from the M6. Looking for a nice trditional place with good food and real ale, can anyone recommend a nice Pub / Hotel that fits the bill?

Regards Mick

Scarthwaite Country House Hotel at Lancaster

We stopped off here on the way up earlier this year, a bit run down but very friendly staff and lovely walking along the river Lune.

The Tebay motorway services is the only one like it - family run with a proper farm shop, excellent food and a refreshing freedom from the corporate grimness of all the other motorway services!

It's between J38 and J39 on the M6.

+1 for Tebay services. It's not cheap compared to the others, but I think that's because they pay fair prices for their food and pay the staff properly, too.

The southbound side IMHO is a bit nicer than the other, with a pond right next to the restaurant, usually with at least one Mallard family in residence. When the weather's good there are pretty spectacular views eastwards, IIRC across Kielder forest. The other side also has views but not quite as nice.

E.

PS: The family that run it were in the process of building another services complex north of Bristol on the M5. I haven't seen anything recently in the local media, so I'm not sure if it's still happening, given the recession.

mseries":17m0xobp said:
Not Keilder Forest, maybe Forest of Bowland though

Too far north for Bowland. It's the Howgills - like a " troop of sleeping elephants", to quote Wainwright. The M6 through the Lune Gorge south of Tebay is one of the nicest stretches of motorwy in the UK, IMHO.
And another vote for Tebay services. Otherwise, it's a bit further off the motorway, but the Shepherds Inn (or is it the Drovers?) in Melmerby is excellent. Especially coupled with a visit to the Village Bakery just across the road from the pub.

Back