Look what the postman brought.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dedee":3bhpy9tt said:
Ian, thanks for calling it a handle. I've never quite understood why the rear handle of a plane is called a tote. Anyone able to explain?
I fear it's a 'Murricanism I've fallen into. Only a matter of time before I start calling a cap iron a chip breaker I suppose. :oops: Why tote though? Dunno; 'cos you tote the thing around using it?

Ian Dalziel":3bhpy9tt said:
Alf....you need to get out more....
Tell me something we don't already know... :oops: :lol:

I think it'd be nigh on impossible to put a coarse enough camber on the BUPP to satisfy Chris' notion of coarse (8" camber for bevel down iirc). I daresay someone could work out what that'd need to be increased to to allow for the low bedding angle. You can see how it compares to a scrub curve here (Blogger won't let me do a direct image link, sorry); dat dere is a pretty extreme camber.

Cheers, Alf

There is one problem I have just come across with this plane, and presumably it affects all LV planes, and that is the little screws to stop the business end of the blade from moving sideways. If you nip them up just so to the blade, because they have a nice flat end they, stop the blade from twisting :shock: (as normally achieved by moving the adjuster sideways). Mr Lee, sir, why aren't the ends of these screws domed?

You're supposed to take 'em back about 1/8 of a turn and then it's not a problem. I had to have the patient "the screws aren't there to hold the blade" explanation from Rob right after my first review. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

But they are there to stop the blade moving sideways - if they don't touch the blade then they won't do that. Anyway, doming the screws would be an easy mod for LV to make surely.

Nick
I had a chat with Rob about this at the Tools show, last year-he said the screws are there as a kind of pivot point for the blade adjuster mechanism.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Nick,
On some infills they have these as well.....they are for keeping the blade central 'within reason' the infills use rivets so are unadjustable. they are not intended to lock the blade merely keeping the blade in the centre of the plane body.
If its locked up tight then hunting around for allen keys etc is a pia to slacken for blade removal hence its tightened then backed off its also affords you some lateral blade movement.
I see what you are saying with the domed headed grub screws but getting them in bulk might not be that simple as these are normally serrated tipped for locking onto shafts etc
trying to get to a happy medium isnt easy. :(

I

Has anyone made different handles for their LV's yet...if so any piccys.

I like to push slightly down and then forward ...with the LV's i have i seem to push straight and have to exert that little bit more for a downward push....

Ian

I raised and discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the LV tote in my review of the BUS - accords exactly with your observation above.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/LVbevelUpSmoother/index.asp

From what I could establish in discussion with Rob Lee, the vertical LV tote was designed with high, modern benches in mind. This can work well IF the plane is heavy and its weight is sufficient to produce sufficient downforce. For example, the tote works with the BUS and the BUJ, while the light LAS needs more downforce via a Stanley-type tote.

My next project, after completing the review of Philip Marcow's smoother, is to test out this theory: the relationship between workbench height (relative to the woodworkers' height) and tote angle.

Incidentally Alf, with reference to the link to the Aussie forum you posted, Ian did send me the tote he made. It is a beauty and will be included in the project.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Has anyone made different handles for their LV's yet...if so any piccys.

I like to push slightly down and then forward ...with the LV's i have i seem to push straight and have to exert that little bit more for a downward push....

Ian

I raised and discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the LV tote in my review of the BUS - accords exactly with your observation above.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/LVbevelUpSmoother/index.asp

From what I could establish in discussion with Rob Lee, the vertical LV tote was designed with high, modern benches in mind.
Sheesh, don't you chaps ever read old reviews...? :wink:

2004[/i] 10:42 am Alf":2p4esj5s]What I did notice was the angle of the handle; I compared an ordinary Stanley and an L-N with it, and the Veritas is noticeably more upright. Now my workbench height is a traditional one, optimised for using planes, and is thus is set up for a pushing along and down movement, just as most planes are. The L-V seems to be geared to just a pushing along movement, and on a higher workbench too.

Cheers, Alf

Slightly shocked to find that was nearly two years ago. Yikes. :shock:

Sheesh, don't you chaps ever read old reviews...?

Hi Alf

Recognition is in order. Although we (you, Ian, and I) have separately come to the same conclusions, you without a doubt suggested it first.

A couple of friends visited today and did some planing with the BUS. One has a bench that is much higher than mine. Without any prior discussion, he remarked that it felt awkward until he stopped trying to push it downward and instead pushed forwards.

Regards from Perth

Derek

old reviews Alf....apologies never read them but i will :oops: :shock:

i get bored too quickly reading long reviews so i sometimes tend to skip parts..sorry

Derek

I like the sound of different workbench heights but i am just a bit wary of lifting mine at present as it weighs a lot and not something i like to see a bench with a couple of boards under it........i need it to look perfect or it gets thrown out ....dont know if i can cope with that.... :shock:

For me the option of changing bench heights for different planes is not really an option so i'll go with the different handle designs....lets call them handles as newbies dont know what were on about with totes. I need my bench solid on a flat floor not balanced on height raising blocks

I like my LV planes just my styles maybe a bit different of working wood but i'm not complaining about the plane as i'll just change it to suit me. besides i far prefer a tool that fits my hand than someones in the LV design shop but
Rob please dont take it wrong.
i am just being honest

love the router plane by the way the knobs are fine

Ian

pegs broke coats gone

I'm sure I no more posted my quote to claim recognition than you did in posting your review link, Derek. I imagine someone at Veritas, or an early purchaser, beat us all to the thought.

Cheers, Alf

Back