Look what I've inherited!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

My Grandparents have just announced that they will be moving in to a small house. My Grandfather is a master carpenter and turner, and much to his dismay, he has no room for a workshop in the new house. As I am the only other family member who dabbles in woodwork, the tools are going to me. Yippee!!

One of the tools is this

img3.gif

A TS. Harrison & Sons Union Jubille lathe, 54" between Centres.

I have never had a lathe, and see this as my opportunity to get started in turning.

Are there any tool historians out there who would know anything about this lathe? Is it any Good? I googled it to see if I could find any info. It appears it was made between 1948 and 1960. It is in very good condition, as my grandfather took great care of it.

Cheers All.

Gosh, you lucky devil. That looks a lovely bit of kit!

Hi Slimjim,

The Jubilee, and the larger Union Graduate were the Rolls-Royce of lathes in their day, with many of them still in use. It should last you for your lifetime, too. Nice to have inherited it within the family - and with an expert tutor on hand there's probably no need for me to wish you luck. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Have got the lathe in my workshop now. I felt a bit like a burglar when I took it this morning. I could see my grandfathers heart breaking. But I'm sure he'll get a lot of pleasure from teaching me.

Thanks for your comments guys. I cant wait to start learning the art.

That is a magnificent lathe, certainly one of the best, and British through and through.

I learned to turn on one of those with Oliver Plant - admitedly the short bed version, but yours at 54" is the top of the range.

One caution, from a point of view of safety though; if the machine is 50 odd years old, I would certainly renew all the electrics, cables, and the micro switches, if I were you. The starter on those were designed to be stripped and the contacts cleaned.

Enjoy it, they don't come much better than that.

Basically you are telling us “My grand father has given me his Rolls Royce, is it any good?”. :)
In addition you have your grand dad as a teacher, that is like receiving the rolls with the chauffeur! :p
Now, what you have to do is to show us some of your works, and if you can some of your grand dad,
:wink:

Latest posts

Back