Slimjim's Workshop Tour (Lots of Pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the things I really like about this forum, is the chance to have a look round other peoples workshops. So I thought It was about time I bored you all with mine.

It isn't big, about 16' x 10', but it serves my purposes. I will be moving down south later this year. I have prioritised the criteria for my new house thus; DOUBLE GARAGE, location, DOUBLE GARAGE, size, DOUBLE GARAGE, condition etc. You get the picture :wink:

Anyway, to my workshop. Here is a little peek through the door.

Through-door.jpg

I will start with the north wall. First are some shelves with all of my tool boxes. PPpro router, drill and jigsaw, palsode nail gun etc. There is also my new Triton MOF001 router, which is excellent.

Tool-Boxes.jpg

Then there is my workbench/outfeed table, table saw and lathe.

North-Wall.jpg

My table saw is the SIP 10" cast iron jobbie. IMO a bargain (under £500) and an excellent bit of kit. Under the left extension there is a cabinet containing all of my fixings and my pocket hole jig. Under the right extension is my Fox morticer. You can also see the cast iron table that belongs to the sliding carriage I recently bought from Tony.

Table-Saw.jpg

My lathe was inherited from my grandfather. It is a 54" Union Jubilee. A very solid chunk of cast iron and heavy gauge steel. It doesn't have anything fancy like variable speed or a swiveling headstock, but it is a star in my eyes. You can also see my airshield, which was a recent purchase but I always wear it now. The Jet thicknesser is a good piece of kit, but I have an ongoing battle with snipe. :evil:

Lathe.jpg

Above the north wall is my timber store. There is also a shelf with storage boxes that contain all of my sanders, sandpaper, biscuit jointer and biscuit, various hand tools etc.

Timber-Store.jpg

The east wall has a shelving unit which houses my glues, finishes, squares, radio, chisels and router bits.

East-Wall.jpg

The south wall has an old Junior Whitehead bandsaw, also inherited from my grandfather, which was until recently brilliant. A few months ago the tensioning mechanism gave way. It is now waiting to be replaced with a Jet JWBS-14.

Bandsaw.jpg

Next is my Record extractor and Fox planer. The FOX in my opinion is another bargain. It performs flawlessly and cost around £300. The only reason I would think of replacing this is to upgrade to an 8" model.

South-Wall.jpg

I remember Alf saying that there would be some impressive looking clamp racks due to Axminster's K-body pricing error. Well here is my Bessy shrine. I was very skeptical about the hype surrounding K-bodies, but I have to say, I love them. In fact I love them so much, I want to marry them :wink:

Clamp-Rack.jpg

Well thats it folks. Just to finish off, a gratuitous shot of my new Veritas #6. :p It's sleeping at the moment.

Veritas.jpg

Thanks for the tour! I love seeing other people's workshops and seeing how they've arranged everything.
I've got the SIP ts too and love it - what have you used to make your inserts from?
My workshop is a little smaller at 16 by 8 but it's nice to see you can get a lathe in too as I'm hopefully going to be acquiring one :)
Hope we get a photo tour of new workshop when you come down south!

DomValente":39s5bcg8 said:
Er when do you watch the T.V. :? and do your Bessey's know about the affection you have for your plane :)

Never watch the TV, it is just an old combi unit I relegated to the workshop so I can listen to the radio. I keep catching the Besseys throwing snide looks at the Veritas. :wink:

Waka":39s5bcg8 said:
I've never seen such a clean workshop

Well, I have a confession to make, I cleaned especially for you lot. :whistle:

stewart":39s5bcg8 said:
what have you used to make your inserts from?

I used hardboard. However when I visited Tony's workshop recently, I noticed he had used aluminium. I'm gonna do this soon.

Interesting to see another Junior Whitehead bandsaw. I thought I had the only one! Likewise I'd like an (Axminster 4300). Ah well... maybe one day!

cheers,

ike

Mate , do funny things happen in your shop :?

Photo 1 , its there , a cup of TEA

photo 3 , ITS GONE :? :?

PHOTO 4 , aarrrrrrr ITS BACK :? :?

kin ell spookey

:wink: :wink:

O and nice workshop

Blister":2eody5du said:
Mate , do funny things happen in your shop :?

Photo 1 , its there , a cup of TEA

photo 3 , ITS GONE :? :?

PHOTO 4 , aarrrrrrr ITS BACK :? :?

kin ell spookey

:wink: :wink:

O and nice workshop

Apparently in 1904, a coffee cup was brutely murdered in the garage. I believe there was a disagreement when someone discovered there was no sugar in his coffee, so he launched the cup at the wall. The phantom coffee cup has sworn not to rest until it exacts its revenge. The strangest thing... it only ever appears in photographs...oooooooooo.....

Either that or it could be that I was drinking a cup of coffee whilst i was taking the photographs. :wink:

Back