Look what I got.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Replacement for LS1040 arrived today.

Very poorly packed, I might add. I wasn't in so asked the driver to leave it with a neighbour.

Came home in the afternoon and picked it up, no polystyrene in the box just some folded cardboard here and there.

The back of the saw had broken the cardboard.

But the saw appears undamaged so "one" must say packing was adequate although I would have liked more.

Didn't take me long to get it set up and make some sawdust.

First thing I don't like is the blade guard set up, it requires pressure to be applied with the heel of the hand to move it so that the blade can drop, unlike other saws I have used, where the act of pulling down the blade activated the guard.

Second it doesn't have a laser. It has a light which does much the same thing, except that the blade needs to be lowered maybe halfway before the line is sharp. On the plus side if all the bulbs in the shop fuse I can still see to use the saw. :)

What I do like is solid tight feel of it, the mitre pre sets are rock solid, it starts up softly, runs quietly and winds down quickly and quietly.

It sliced through a bit of 9 by 3 like a hot knife through butter and left a nice square cut in all directions.

The dust collection seems pretty good, but I am not sure yet since I didn't have the vac properly attached.

I think I can live with it.

Attachments

• 778.JPG
    778.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 865
Congratulations! I hope you get many years of use out of it. Just remember to oil all aluminium joints now and then.

I have one of those and use it as my onsite saw. It is a good saw though I like it's grandfather the 1990-ies Elu even more. I use the Elu in my workshop.
Lasers and light beams are of no use if you are accutomed to working wthout them. You will soon learn the habit of wathing where the blade goes.

The old 'laser beam' devices were/are rubbish, they had to be set up and checked every time the saw was moved or knocked and were very prone to damage. I have the big 305mm blade dewalt saw with the led light system on and its great. The lights are on either side of the blade and the line you see on your workpiece is the shadow of the blade. It can never be wrong. Had mine about 6 months and it certainly saves time, especially when using the saw bevelled over sideways for mitreing skirtings and similar.

That's a good saw.its been around for years and is still a very popular saw on site.

Thanks guys, I spent today modifying the bench to fit around it.

Been searching t'web all evening for an extension arm to fit to the left hand side to give a bit of support but cant find anything. There are holes there so I bet Dewalt make something.

Back