Long lasting exterior finish for ply sculpture?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krismusic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have made a large sculpture from ply and would like it to be able to live outside. Any ideas what would be a long lasting coating needing minimum maintanance cycle? I would prefer a matt finish. Any ideas gratefully received. :)

what kind of ply did you use ?

There is a lot of very poor quality 'exterior' ply about these days.

1st off, you need to keep the water out at all costs. I would suggest drenching it in thinned down exterior varnish/oil and get it to soak up as much as you can get in it !

Second, is the sun, it will grey the ply very quickly. If you dont like grey, then you will have to use some kind of woodstain varnish/oil at some point, to put the colour back in.

Tusses":2377roga said:

1st off, you need to keep the water out at all costs. I would suggest drenching it in thinned down exterior varnish/oil and get it to soak up as much as you can get in it !

Second, is the sun, it will grey the ply very quickly. If you dont like grey, then you will have to use some kind of woodstain varnish/oil at some point, to put the colour back in.
Thank you for the reply. :) I can confirm what you say about ropey exterior ply. The stuff i used is none to good but I have "veneered" the whole thing in 1.5mm Birch ply. I am after a white finish. I wonder if drenching it in thinned varnish and then going over that with a top coat could be a way forward?

krismusic":37pecnij said:
Tusses":37pecnij said:

Thank you for the reply. :) I can confirm what you say about ropey exterior ply. The stuff i used is none to good but I have "veneered" the whole thing in 1.5mm Birch ply. I am after a white finish. I wonder if drenching it in thinned varnish and then going over that with a top coat could be a way forward?

When you say 'white', do you mean completely white with no wood grain showing ? if so, I'd thing down an oil based paint undercoat, maybe 50/50 and get it soaked in. Maybe phone up a chandler and find out what the wooden boat people use ? If you can keep the water out - i.e. get a finish that wont damage or crack, and maintain it well, then you should be ok.

For a very durable exterior finish look into the marine epoxies, these can be tinted white, West Systems should have something suitable

Jason

Epoxies aren't UV resistant alone. The West system needs to be overcoated to protect it from UV. I think I would consider Awlgrip, it's perhaps awkward to apply but is very durable, from memory I think the Uk agent is in Sputhampton.

Thanks for the thoughts. I had considered the West epoxy. I have used it structurally and it is amazing. Good info about lack of UV resistance though. I wonder if that still applies if the epoxy is tinted. I am after a solid, preferably matt finish. I have looked into boat paint. Apparently they have a five year maintainance cycle which is possibly a bit of a burden to expect a client to take on. A bit more background to what I am trying to achieve. If I could weather proof my sculptures I think that it would open up the possibility of selling them "for the garden." About the only way that most people could realistically accommodate a large piece. Getting them to want to is a whole other ball game! :eek:ccasion5:

could you not make the sculpture to make a mold blank ? and make copies from it in GRP ? The colour could be in the gel coat then.

I fitted Awlgrip on my fathers Yacht in 1999. It is now a bit stained but he is halfway through his second circumnavigation, it hasn't peeled off anywhere and still looks pretty shiney.

Back