Log

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz8521

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been given a log (think its beech not sure) problem is its got cracks on both ends but the cracks are in different directions. Its about 12" dia and 15" long, so what should i do split it or try to cut the cracks out. Any suggestions?

Gaz.
Depending how big the splits are,and what you want to do with the log,i would split it down the middle,getting the pith out,then cut your discs out to size,then seal all the end grain.Store in a cool,dark,dry place.
I had some Yew with splits on the end that had been cut down for about 2 years and the splits only went in a few CMs.
Happy new year.
Paul.J.

Hi Gaz
Before you cut or cleave it clean the ends so that you can see where the pith is it may be a long way of centre, if it is just cut down the line of the pith and you can sometimes have one really deep blank. Cutting rather than cleaving makes sure you don't waste any wood and gives you an idea of how dry the wood is. Trimming the ends to square up the blank will hopefully take off the cracks.
Try turning it straight away keep whatever shape you turn about an inch thick then put it in a cool place out of light and draughts, under a bench ? but first weigh it and write the date weight and type of wood on it. As it has some cracks it has partly dried so this time of year and without any heating is should survive. Weigh it regularly and when it stabilises for a week or two take it into a warmer area and carry on weighing.
Should be at least one ten inch bowl.
Have fun
Ken

Latest posts

Back