log or plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
bought these today paid £5.00 as i liked the top one, the other are firewood or have i got it wrong and they are all logs.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,204
Without looking at them for real, it's hard to say, but I would be surprised if they could not ALL be put back into use as tools.
Dirty wood can be nicely cleaned; rust can be removed and blunt edges sharpened. If the sole of a wooden plane is no longer flat it can easily be put right.
The hardest problem to fix is where the thin sides have split by the wedge - though even that is not always a problem in practice - but yours look ok.

But are there enough people who appreciate them enough, even to pay you the postage? Possibly not. Many similar planes go unsold on eBay, or maybe sell for 99p + P&P. Maybe one day when they are no longer plentiful, people will wake up to what they have lost.

wizard":30od9t2l said:
bought these today paid £5.00 as i liked the top one, the other are firewood or have i got it wrong and they are all logs.

Top one is very fancy - adjustable mouth, metal toe, parallel iron, closed handle.

BugBear

The smallest one at the front could be something, or nothing. Has it got a single uncut iron, and if so is it named. It sort of looks as if it might be rounded at the top like an 18th century iron. Is there a makers name on the front of the plane?. These small smoothers often turn out to be cheap 20th century models, but it's worth checking. 18th century smoothers hardly ever turn up.
Cheers, Richard.

richarnold":2ncbqb7n said:
... Has it got a single uncut iron ...
Just to satisfy a curiosity - what is an 'uncut' iron (presumably as opposed to a 'cut' iron)? Is it jsut to do with the central slot?

baldpate":e7ohiqvl said:
richarnold":e7ohiqvl said:
... Has it got a single uncut iron ...
Just to satisfy a curiosity - what is an 'uncut' iron (presumably as opposed to a 'cut' iron)? Is it jsut to do with the central slot?

That's about it. You only need the slot when you want to attach a cap-iron, thus making a 'double iron'. An iron used on it's own without a cap-iron (a 'single iron') doesn't need the slot, and is therefore 'uncut'.

That's either quite a lot of wear or an ingenious way of increasing the effective pitch! As Richard said, are there any visible names on the plane or on the iron?

Latest posts

Back