Loft flooring, OSB or ply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Moffat

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve never bought or used OSB in my life. my stepson looking to put the equivalent of 4 full sheets of something in the loft for storage, and has figured out that cutting 8 ft x 4ft sheets into 8x2s would be a lot cheaper than flooring boards, and given it’s intended use butt joints are fine. Any reason not to use the cheaper 18mm OSB boards?

Hi Stuart no reason I can think of. Will you actually be walking on the sheets or will access just be from the ladder and hatch? You might get away with 12mm then which would be cheaper and lighter.

It will be walked on. The hatch is close to a gable end they will be walking and storing stuff up to 16 ft away from the hatch.
Stuart

My mate does a lot of loft hatches and flooring. He uses loft legs from wickes and the tongue and grooved osb floorboards or the equivalent chipboard ones.
They are easier to get up into the loft and the T and G gives some support where there is not full support from joists, due to cuts etc.

Ollie

I would go with the T&G chipboard - I have it in my loft and is more manageable and gives a much better surface. Also agree with Ollie about the support the T&G gives.

Jim

Between the two there's not a lot to choose, so yes go OSB as it's cheaper. When I did ours it was with tongue and groove MDF, my head wants to say 15mm but may have been 18mm. Tongue and groove obviously means the boards support each other to some extent.

As Jameshow hints, I'd be mindful of access and the sheer weight of 18mm half sheets of either though.

Did the same last summer in our bungalow and went with 8x2 18mm t&g chipboard on wicks legs (still got 2 full boxes as got too many). From experience,getting an 8x2 through the hatch is quite awkward but more important than that would be getting it done whilst it’s still quite cool..
Also, if you’re planning on raising your loft floor you will no doubt be ensuring you have a minimum of insulation in place (we went for 300mm) which if you want to insulate your loft hatch as well means it will need to be much bigger and may not actually be in the best place for it like ours isn’t.

Latest posts

Back