Loft Boarding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierney

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to board out some of my loft; but, there are a few lengths of timber in the way.

Two lengths run perpendicularly across all joists. These lengths have posts supporting purlins, so I'm guessing that I cannot do anything about these.

The other lengths are maybe 4ft in length across say 3 joists. Some of these lengths are across joists above a bay window where there is a gable roof above. Others seem to be where maybe the old water tank was. It's a 1920s house and has also had a couple of chimneys removed. Is it ok to replace these shorter lengths with well fitted and screwed in noggins?

Could it be possible that these lengths were just temporarily used, say when spacing joists and forgotten to be removed. I cannot imagine how they would provide any support in the vertical plane given that they are just nailed to the rafters with nothing resting on these lengths.

All advice gratefully received.

DT

Seeing some pics would possibly take some guesswork away from potential answers.
Can you post some?
Regards Rodders

These could have been used in order to provide lateral bracing to the roof timbers. Modern methods now use bat straps (metal strips)

It could be possible that the timbers over the bay are providing structural support.

If in doubt, get a structural engineer involved.

blackrodd":289dq4ix said:
Seeing some pics would possibly take some guesswork away from potential answers.
Can you post some?
Regards Rodders

+1 Photo's required. :wink:

If you are fully boarding the floor, and screwing it down properly this will give some lateral rigidity, the shorter lengths are probably left over from earlier build and I would think could be removed. I don't think a structural engineer needs be involved, it'll cost you about £600 for that. But a couple of photos would help.

Has anyone else in your road done this ??

Any structural work (up here) need a building warrant and structural drawings to be submitted.

Back