Locked out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Went to pick up a coat from cupboard in the hall but although the handle turned the latch did not move.
All of the doors in my house are fitted with brass handles and mortise latches.
I had access to all the tools I could possible need but could not get the latch to release and ended up sawing through latch with a hack saw blade.
This got me thinking that if this had happened when my wife and I were in bed (I am 80 and my wife 78) then we would be locked in, and not having a phone upstairs would be trapped.
OK we could have opened the window and raised the alarm when people were about, but then how would they get in as both external doors are locked and bolted to prevent anyone getting in.
So now all of my upstairs rooms have had the mortise latches removed and replaced with ball catches.
Problem solved. :D :D :D :D :D

Alan.

Get a phone upstairs, quickly, you don't know when it will be needed....
The Ambulance service, and Fire Brigade have "keys" that will open domestic doors, if required!
It's nice on a Sunday morning, when the Grandchildren ring, not to have to stand in the hall, in nightshirt, and slippers!

Bod

Ball catches sound good, but definitely get a phone upstairs, even if its only a cheap mobile and charger.

I got locked in the living room by a worn out latch. Had to get my wife to pass a kitchen knife through the window to jiggle the latch back by working it between door and frame. I suppose I could have left by the window, but I would still have had to sort the door !

Glad it happened to me, rather than a family member. Easier to do yourself than instruct from the other side of the door.

The police have what they call "The big key" :lol: , it makes more of a mess.

[quoteGet a phone upstairs, quickly, you don't know when it will be needed....][/quote]

#-o #-o #-o Now why didn't think of that. We both have cheap pay as you go mobiles that we switch on and take with us when we go out in case of "emergencies" never thinking we could have an emergency of our own such as getting locked in our bedroom.
I'm off today to get a phone and extension cable so I can extend the BT phone upstairs.
Sometimes the simplest solution is staring you in the face but you can't see it.
Thank you all for your heads up on the solution :D :D :D

Alan

Cordless twin pack home phone around 30 quid. Save yourself the hassle of routing a wire upstairs [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back