Little something that arrived today.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPJ":2gyynr5p said:
Do people really keep their planes in these boxes? :p

I mean, it might be required if you're going to sell the plane later but, there aren't many of us who will spend £200 on a plane, only to turn around and sell it on six-months later... :wink:

If I bought an expensive plane,then yes it would go back in the box after every use.

My old woodwork teacher was known for drillling it into us to put the plane on its side after every use,I see guys on here standing their expensive plane up on the shoe(well thats what he ued to call it).

p.s Simon, I'm not having a stab at folk here. :roll:

RussianRouter":32l69jkg said:
OPJ":32l69jkg said:
Do people really keep their planes in these boxes? :p

I mean, it might be required if you're going to sell the plane later but, there aren't many of us who will spend £200 on a plane, only to turn around and sell it on six-months later... :wink:

If I bought an expensive plane,then yes it would go back in the box after every use.

My old woodwork teacher was known for drillling it into us to put the plane on its side after every use,I see guys on here standing their expensive plane up on the shoe(well thats what he ued to call it).

p.s Simon, I'm not having a stab at folk here. :roll:

I don't know about always putting it back in it's box, especially if you have a classy tool cabinet like Chris Knight and Waka (to name just two) but as George said I was always thought to lay a plane down on it's side.

Cheers

Mike

I sit mine on Shavings when I put it down, or if finished with, back in the cupboard.
I never put it on its side though, too easy to twot it with another tool.

Boxes? Can't be doing with 'em.

I sit mine on two pieces of thin stock to raise them above the iron protrusion.

I lay them on their side on the bench though.

Beautiful, beautiful planes though...I love beauty in engineering...makes it worth using when you smile as you whiz along! 8)

Jim

Back