Little routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Nott

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a small router. I have a load of doors to hang using french hinges. These are a piece of cake to fit with a router as they need a slot, say 110 x 14mm in the edge of the door. Unlike uk hinges this doesn't go all the way to the edge of the door and the ends of the hinges are rounded.
See the pic here:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Timolot/H ... 6145816674

So it's just one straight run with an appropriate diameter router bit and a few seconds with a chisel to do the bit where the knuckle comes out.
However I have to hang these doors in place - the frames are already fixed, so have to rout on the vertical. My old ELU is just too heavy (5.3KG) to do this.
Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at a trend T4 but can't figure out the weight - some suppliers say 4+kg, some 2.5kg.[/img]

I've got a Bosch GKF600 for little jobs and it's great. The adjustment takes a little getting used to, but it would be ideal for what you want.

Tommy.

I was looking at that but it doesn't appear to plunge, so I'd have to bang straight in to the cut

tommy":2z0wgyip said:
I've got a Bosch GKF600 for little jobs and it's great. The adjustment takes a little getting used to, but it would be ideal for what you want.

Tommy.

It doesn't. I make plunge cuts by resting it on one of the square edges and lowering it into the cut, it's quite effective but you'd have to be careful if you were making a slot the same diameter as the cutter, i set up two small fences with double sided tape when i do that.

There might be alternatives but don't rule it out, it's a powerful little thing!.

As tommy says, it's easy enough to plunge a fixed base laminate trimmer. I do that all the time with my little Makita. It's more than enough router for your hinge job too.

I recently purchased a dremel-tool from a fellow UKW'er and with a router-base it makes a great little trimmer, hinge fitter.

tommy":2s1nzh7f said:

Tommy.

I've got two of those they are great. However, they do not plunge and do not have variable speed but they are light enough to use all day and are powerful enough for your needs. If I was fitting loads of those hinges I might be tempted to get a template cnc cut (about £10 or so) and use a smaller size cutter with a guide ring, which you would have to fabricate or buy something like a unibase.
Good luck Simon

Well the Bosch looks good, as does the Trend T4 which does plunge and is cheaper

Oryxdesign":6oeb45fm said:
tommy":6oeb45fm said:

Tommy.

I've got two of those they are great. However, they do not plunge and do not have variable speed but they are light enough to use all day and are powerful enough for your needs. If I was fitting loads of those hinges I might be tempted to get a template cnc cut (about £10 or so) and use a smaller size cutter with a guide ring, which you would have to fabricate or buy something like a unibase.
Good luck Simon

I have a little 500W Bosch POF 500A which is a plunge router. It would probably cut those as they look quite shallow. Perhaps too small for other general work though.

Mine is quite old so possible superceded now.

Latest posts

Back