Little College Piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Established Member
Reaction score
This was a little exam peice we had to do at collage.

Its a Jewellery box with a curved draw front, the main wood is Sycamore and the feet and draw pull are made of Walnut.
The top is 300mm x 220mm, which should give you a clue to how big it is, the pics make it hard to scale it.

Drawer front is Veneered with Birdseye Maple in the middle and Walnut Burr cross banding around the edges.

top and bottom rails are dovetailed to the side rails, the back is half lapped on to the side rails and a Dovetailed drawer.

Forgive the crappy pics, camera phone..

wip1.jpg

wip2.jpg

fitting the draw sides.

bit of a leap to the next wip pic..
wip3.jpg

draw has been built, fit and the draw front curved, with the birdseye maple on the draw front, the walnut to come shortly after :eek:

wip4.jpg

Drawer with the walnut cross banding (note the beautiful vice, what we get for sharing a workshop with joiners...)

wip5.jpg

wip6.jpg

wip7.jpg

Finished photos with the Walnut drawer pull and walnut feet.

but yea, a pretty simple project overall, it doesn't have a finish applied yet, not allowed to do that until its been marked..

Im pleased with it i think i did a good job fitting the drawer (not quite piston but gotta be somewhere close :D:D) picked up some really good tips from Rob Cosmans DVD and my dovetails are probably the best ive done with the skinniest pins ive ever done lol

Thanks for looking,
Jez

Hi Jez,

That looks really good - I bet you can't wait to get the finish on. Hope you get a good mark out of it.

David

Well executed Jez, clean crisp detail and edges.

What type of finish is specified, or do you choose your own?

Not the easiest thing to get an even finish all over in the assembled state.

Lovely work Jez =D>

If I could make one slight criticism, it would be that the top overhangs too much for me.

Jez - very good looking box, tend to agree with Tony that there is a trifling too much overhang on the top but this is offset to some degree by the chunkie feet detail, do like the subtle curved front drawer - Rob

thanks alot everyone :D

CHJ - the finish im guessing is up to us as its being marked before it can be applied. im not really sure what to put on it. some wax maybe ?

anyone got any ideas :eek:

DomValente":2fns0cy6 said:
Polyx oil ?

I think that would work quite well...few coats of shellac and some wax would work equally as well....the main thing is to ensure that the colour of the timber isn't darkened or given a yellow tint - Rob

CLean and crisp looking, the two things I manage to avoid most of the time unfortunately.

Cheers Mike

woodbloke":3pcayi4g said:
DomValente":3pcayi4g said:
Polyx oil ?

I think that would work quite well...few coats of shellac and some wax would work equally as well....the main thing is to ensure that the colour of the timber isn't darkened or given a yellow tint - Rob

If you don't want it to yellow, as Rob said, don't use the Polyx oil.

Dom

Latest posts

Back