Lime

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I was speaking to a tree surgeon friend the other day that has a new job in a very very well known gardens . He mentioned that they are doing a 50% cut back on lime trees at the mo as well as other things :D .
Is Lime a nice timber to turn ?
Whats your favorite timber for turning ? For ease and visual purposes .

JFC":3vtgr6pk said:
I was speaking to a tree surgeon friend the other day that has a new job in a very very well known gardens . He mentioned that they are doing a 50% cut back on lime trees at the mo as well as other things :D .
Is Lime a nice timber to turn ?
More of an ideal carving wood than for turning IMO. unless it is for decoration only with limited handling.
It is easy to work Unless Spalted, see my previous comments

Even-textured with little or no grain structure differences to bother about.

A good wood to practice on and learn how to finish delicate detail, it will disappear at the slightest abuse with the abrasive.

JFC":3vtgr6pk said:
Whats your favorite timber for turning ? For ease and visual purposes .

Beech closely followed by a dozen others.
I like many of the 'red' exotics but they can be very dusty and have a "get everywhere" nature.
Mind you a few jobs in Padauk, Pau Rosa, etc. will soon highlight how poor your dust control is.

CHJ is right it is great :D for carving, some of the best chair I have worked on have been carve with it :)

Good carving wood eh . If it works out i best ask them to leave the logs at 1200mm .

Also if you have see Antique chair that are carved and guilded, they are done inlime most of the time :)

I,ve only turned a few bits of lime, managed to catch a tree feller before he cut a 22" dia trunk into logs. Got him to cut me two 22" long half cylinders out of it - was all I could lift(still green) This 16" platter was from that wood with a carved rim. It's a bit bland but carving and colour can see to that.

As for what I like to turn, if its got a defect of is spalted then I'm happy. But I will turn most things if they come my way.

Jason

Back