Lightweight Li-Ion Drivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't quite afford the Makita twin pack and I need something lightweight for fixing plasterboard to ceilings. My 18v is just too heavy.

So, any thoughts on the following from experience? I'm looking for something under 1.2kg and preferably with a hex chuck (but money may dictate otherwise).

Hitachi DB10DL (£104 from FFX)
DeWalt DEWDCD710S2 (£84 from FFX with 2 batteries) - not a hex chuck but it's a stonking price.

Any others I should consider? Silverstorm? Durofix? I don't want anything with stupidly long charge times though.

My 12v Li-Ions are just DIY types so not really up to the job on site :(

Random Orbital Bob":sejd7bwa said:
Makita...that's what credit cards are for! (He said irresponsibly)

:lol:

Mine's close to blowing up though (the credit card that is). Bloody van has cost me a fortune in the last couple of months. New alternator (twice!), new PAS pump, several new alternator belts, four new tyres. And it still needs a new gearbox! Luckily, Benchwayze's son is a gearbox expert and he's happy to repair mine if I take it off the van first.

Silverstorm drivers are about 22nm and the impact drivers are 90nm which is pretty much inline with the Triton equivalents.

Silverstorm twin packs, driver and impact driver are around £75 mark and triton drivers around £110 each.

I would compare the NM ratings of what you have now with what your planning to buy as if your machine doesnt have the torque you'll be going round finishing by hand which is a PITA

tool-me-up":3bswphm6 said:
Silverstorm drivers are about 22nm and the impact drivers are 90nm which is pretty much inline with the Triton equivalents.

Silverstorm twin packs, driver and impact driver are around £75 mark and triton drivers around £110 each.

I would compare the NM ratings of what you have now with what your planning to buy as if your machine doesnt have the torque you'll be going round finishing by hand which is a PITA

Any feedback on the Silverstorm sets you've sold?

All I am fixing is plasterboard into tile batten so massive torque isn't necessary. My 18v Makita gives 190Nm which is way too much.

The DeWalt I mentioned in the OP has only 16Nm which may just do. I've just checked the Hitachi and that has only 10Nm which is pretty dung compared to the others in the field. I have seen the DeWalt DEWCF815S2 which has 107Nm but is £124 so a little out of my price range for the moment.

EDIT: Scrub the Silverstorm, I've just seen the 3-5 hour charge time. Not practical.

MMUK":33kglbi7 said:
So, any thoughts on the following from experience? I'm looking for something under 1.2kg and preferably with a hex chuck (but money may dictate otherwise).
Hitachi DB10DL (£104 from FFX)
DeWalt DEWDCD710S2 (£84 from FFX with 2 batteries) - not a hex chuck but it's a stonking price.
Any others I should consider? Silverstorm? Durofix? I don't want anything with stupidly long charge times though.
The Sparky I use swears by a 'Screwfix Special' Erbauer 10.8v, but it's pretty much the same price as the DeWalt from FFX. I have a few (various generations) of the Bosch 10.8v, which I'm mostly pretty happy with, but again, similar price to that DeWalt with just one battery, or a bit more with two. Charge times are a bit faster for the Bosch (30mins vs 40 for the DW, plus 80% charge in 15 mins, which can be handy) and they're a bit lighter (0.9Kg vs 1.1Kg) but not enough to worry about really - take your watch off, you can lose 200g easy ;)

If price is important then that DeWalt's hard to beat, IHMO. Bosch has a wider range of 10.8v tools though, if future expansion was a consideration.

I may have to stretch my budget a little and opt for the Metabo Max12, £134. Any feedback on this one? although it's the same price I can get the Makita twin pack for :?

petermillard":35a4pzvn said:
If price is important then that DeWalt's hard to beat, IHMO. Bosch has a wider range of 10.8v tools though, if future expansion was a consideration.

Thanks Pete.

Price is important but the torque capability of the DeWalt is pants compared to the Metabo and Bosch and I think this has to be the deciding factor along with charge time. Looks like I'll have to stretch funds a bit....

I'm not objective because I bought into the new Makita family when they first went Lith ion. This means if I choose another brand I lose the charger compatibility. I have to say that the choice now of body only tools in the Makita range is staggering. Apart from all the usual ones I've even got the mini vacuum which is mind numbingly useful as is the blower. I probably use those tools more than the impact driver.

I am a plasterer and can recommend the little Makita drivers, I have the hex drive standard driver and the impact driver. I was surprised to find I prefer the impact driver for boarding. It's very controllable because of the impacting so you can nip a screw up a wee bit without the usual suddenly bursting through the paper. Also you can buy the drivers by themselves for about thirty quid. You will need two batteries though, I am normally on my second battery by the time I have finished a decent size ceiling.

TomO":1ymke48r said:
I am a plasterer and can recommend the little Makita drivers, I have the hex drive standard driver and the impact driver. I was surprised to find I prefer the impact driver for boarding. It's very controllable because of the impacting so you can nip a screw up a wee bit without the usual suddenly bursting through the paper. Also you can buy the drivers by themselves for about thirty quid. You will need two batteries though, I am normally on my second battery by the time I have finished a decent size ceiling.

I've found a place that'll do me this set for £125 so I'm very tempted. However, I've also found the Hitachi super compact 10.8v twin pack which I can get for £102.

I love Makita but with the van needing a new gearbox imminently I've got to spend as little as possible and the Hitachi set has some good reviews.

I'm sure it will be fine mate, try the impact one you will be impressed. Also you are right about the hex chuck. You no longer have to tighten a keyless chuck 200 times a day.

TomO":1rrskuef said:
I'm sure it will be fine mate, try the impact one you will be impressed. Also you are right about the hex chuck. You no longer have to tighten a keyless chuck 200 times a day.

No point in me getting one with a normal chuck, it'll only ever have a #2 Philips drywall bit fitted. :mrgreen:

Think I'm gonna go for the Hitachi set at the end of the month. I can always upgrade at a later date if I feel the need to expand my Makita collection :wink:

Back