Bosch GSR 10.8 drill/driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
What an amazing little thing this is. I was given one as a 'thank you' for some work I did recently (don't fret, they got a good deal I think).
I'm not a power tool devotee, or an out-n-out hand tool nut... I work between the gaps (so to speak).
I love this little driver, and I'll explain why. But for context I work mainly in my own shop, and cabinet-making is my thing. So I don't put this up against an 18v heavyweight. It will depend on what you do most often I expect.
First, I already have 3 cordless drills - a 12v DeWalt (previously my basic favourite), a Panasonic 15.4 (been through tough times, survived and works very well indeed, super-quiet motor, very smooth, very nicely engineered), and a Festool 12v with the clever quick-fit chuck with a hex drive behind.
I have just re-organised the space immediately behind the bench to take the Bosch charger and also have a home for the actual drill - this means it has become the one I reach for first. I'd call that a complement :)
Here it is:
Bosch.jpg

It came in a really good fabric case, with a second battery, charger and 3 boxes with: drills, brads, and driver bits.

1] This tool stands the basic tests - very fast and effective, I can change bits in seconds... the old trick that you hold the bit in the front part of your left (sub-dominant) hand and the back part of your same hand holds the chuck, power on to close chuck then a quick quarter twist to lock (and boy does it lock).
The forward/reverse is exactly where I expect it to be, and the 1 / 2 speed flickover is also where it should be.
The batteries (Li-ion) are smart-charged and having used someone elses a while ago, I am assured they are very good and really last.
2] The ergonomics - outstanding. It's small but very well formed. You feel sure when you pick it up that users developed this. I could not fault it.

3] Power, ability to do the job. Amazing, considering its small size and the 10.8v supply. And with a very fast charge 2nd battery, really excellent.

I admit the Festool quick-release chuck with the hex drive behind is very clever... but I bet mine will gather dust now. And pound-for-pound, this small Bosch is truly brilliant. Full marks indeed from me.

Attachments

• Bosch.jpg
    Bosch.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 6,613
I have a version of this- previous version I think and would agree. My favourite feature is the weight of it- so point able when you are in a tight space, working upside down, at arms reach etc.

Worth noting that Bosch also do a 10.8v hammer drill (GSB?) that's virtually identical in size & weight to the GSR; I picked one up a few weeks ago and it's surprisingly capable. Obviously you're not going to be blatting holes in brickwork all day long with it, but having it in the toolbox has saved me from digging out the big drills a few times. Recommended.

@Noskills; if you go for the CXS be prepared to spend a bit extra on the Centrotec bits - I found the balance to be very front-heavy with the regular chuck, which incidentally, is only 8mm, vs 10mm in most other small drills. Also, the cheaper kit only comes with one battery - worth springing for the 'set' which also has the angle attachment IMHO. CXS is my go-to drill/driver though - it's the thoughtful little touches like the belt clip and the magnetic front panel for parking bits and screws that just makes life easier.

I'm also a big fan of these mini drivers. Weight and access to tight places being what I like. Like you I was pleasantly surprised at how much balls they have considering their size. For bench based cabinet making and general use they're brilliant. I bet kitchen fitters would like them too because of the multiple tight spots. I've even put a socket in one of mine which I use as a power router lift on the matching nut in my router table.

I've got two of the dewalt 12 volters (not Li ion) and even the diddy dewalt 3.2v....still really useful. I have been toying with replacing them with li ion versions as they're getting a bit long in the tooth. That Bosch looks interesting. I use the Bosch blue orbital sander and its brilliant.

Hi Graham - I strongly suspect it would handle trade use happily. I think the Toolstop video points to that - I mean that is where Bosch are aiming it.
The bloke I know who's had one ages (that is where I discovered how good it is) is no respecter of tools, he normally uses the back of the casing to tap-start the screws :shock: ... and I mentioned 'pilots' to him, he just looked blank.

condeesteso":ckbu4ll5 said:
Hi Graham - I strongly suspect it would handle trade use happily. I think the Toolstop video points to that - I mean that is where Bosch are aiming it.
The bloke I know who's had one ages (that is where I discovered how good it is) is no respecter of tools, he normally uses the back of the casing to tap-start the screws :shock: ... and I mentioned 'pilots' to him, he just looked blank.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So glad Douglas doesnt work in our yard, he'd run out screaming for sure. Some days I even feel like doing that (yes its that bad).

Had a bit of a hands on with a sparkys bosch 10.8 impact driver, good size I think and a suprising amount of poke - not sure I could fit it in with what and how I use things though.

Has anybody got any feedback on the 10.8v bosch batterys in general - some reviews were not glowing (possably screwfix ones).

I have one of the very first bosch 10.8 screw guns with the hex holder, which I bought about 7 odd years ago. It's barely used now as I've moved from the bench to being a site foreman but whenever I pick it up for doing odds and ends there is still plenty of life left in it. So I'd say long term there shouldn't be any problems. I'll probably be putting mine up for sale soon as while they are ideal and definately up to bench work they are a little underpowered for what I need, plus it's another charger I need to carry around with my Makita stuff.

condeesteso":2umtvgg0 said:

Thanks Douglas. I shall bear it in mind next time I'm ready for a replacement. Often wondered about them.

A bit late but +1 for the Bosch GSR 10.8 drill/driver. I've had mine about 2 years now, came in the fabric/zip up case with the 3 boxes of accessories, just as described.

For context, I use mine on the bench for just about all small holes plus screwdriving, plus around the house & garden for all sorts of DIY.

I'm not a professional so the tool is not in daily use, it can often sit in the shop for some time (if I'm working away then maybe several weeks) between uses. I'm not sure from what I've read about Li-On if that's worse or better than a tradesman's daily use, but against a couple of much older Ni-Cad 12V drills this Bosch is a real revelation - holds the charge well (doesn't need a re-charge before work even if I've been away for a few weeks), charges last well, and re-charging is fast.

Only ergonomic neg points for me are A) unlike every other battery drill I've ever owned this one does not stand up on its (battery) base - no problem really but I still keep forgetting which is OK mostly but annoying sometimes because it often breaks small drills as it topples over; B) no doubt it's my big bannana fingers in relation to the relatively small pistol grip but in use I sometimes accidentally hit the forward/reverse switch which can be a bit alarming, especially if driving screws in a confined space.

For a hobbyist like me I'd definitely recommend it, and the real price/performance ration is actually far more favourable than for the past 2 (cheapo) Ni-Cad drills I bought (a replacement battery cost more than the either of those drills).

Hope this helps someone.

Krgds
AES

It handles trade use just fine. I drill anything 4mm diameter and thin stuff I'll go up to 6 mm. Its very immature but does anybody else pretend its a pistol and give it a quick blast at unwelcome visitors ? :twisted: same with belt sander- does anyone else give it a few revs pretending there at the start of a grand prix race ? :lol: The 10.8 impact driver is also very impressive. It'll struggle sometimes wanging in anything over 5 x 80 (in hardwood) but for the size its proper handy.
Looking for an extractor hood yesterday and the one that caught my eye was a bosch. Probably thought it must be good cause there 10.8 range is superb

I have three in the 10.8 series: the drill/driver (as above), the impact driver and the GOP multi-tool (ugly name!). I like all of them a lot. If anything the impact driver lacks a bit of control (too powerful), but it's efficient. I had a recent punishing job laying chipboard flooring in the attic, and the batteries lasted noticably longer in the impact driver than in the drill (both screwdriving).

The GOP is great. You need to manage the speed to preserve battery life (flat out it is thirsty), but it's so handy for so many tasks. I find myself using it a lot more for sanding than I expected, and as a 'saw' it's got me out of several awkward problems, e.g. cutting cleanly through 28mm copper pipe in the middle of a run of three parallel ones (tidily enough to get a capillary fitting on later). I can't think of another tool that would do the same job easily (hours with a junior hacksaw blade held in Mole grips?).

I have several criticisms though:

Firstly the charger is probably illegal, because of the RFI* it emits. Mine now has a big ferrite ring on the mains lead, which helps, but I can't imagine it got through emissions testing. You can't leave it charging next to a mains powered radio and expect to listen to anything. This is simply cheap design - Bosch ought to do a lot better.

Secondly, batteries: most of these things use *exactly* the same batteries. The only difference is the glued-on clip/shell on the heel of the thing, deliberately designed to NOT make them interchangeable. I hate that type of marketing behaviour on the part of manufacturers.

Thirdly, build quality. A friend has the Makita equivalent drill and dril/driver set. You can feel the difference in build quality when you pick them up. My drill, which gets the most use, is already beginning to wear out after a couple of years DIY. The chuck is worn, and the shaft has always been loose and sloppy. The Makita feels tight and true, and has more torque. I've noticed a deterioration in Bosch kit down the years: my first (green) cordless drill was every bit as good as a decent mains drill. The second (blue) was a bit less robust and sloppier. This one is even worse. I've kept the old ones, in case I can re-battery them - after 25 years, the oldest is still better than the current one, albeit larger. There's no point trying to use the drill for precision work or holes that are difficult to start, for example in steel. Even if the drill is good, and sharp, you can't safely apply enough pressure to the heel of the drill, as there is risk of it skidding.

Finally, the Zboxxx or whatever the silly thing is it came in. Quite ridiculous waste of space and time. Mine is waiting for disposal. I got a small padded camera bag, threw everything in (small pockets for screwdriver bits, drills, etc). Makita supply a sensible metal-clad case; other people a sensible Systainer, Bosch just want to annoy, it seems.

On batteries: I always mark rechargeables when I get them, and try to use them in sequence. That way they only get charged when they're flat. It's better for them. Also, the more cells you have in a pack (i.e. the higher the voltage), the more likely it is to die early, as one cell fails before the others (the usual mode of failure). There are only three cells in 10.8v packs, so they should, theoretically, be more robust than higher-voltage drills using the same chemistry. Also, the LOWER the battery voltage, the better the energy density in the battery, so lower voltage drills give better performance for weight and size than the bigger stuff (OK the motors need slightly thicker windings). In the consumer/DIY market (mine!) there's absolutely no point in buying 18V+ rechargeable drills - they'll almost certainly fail quickly. IMHO, money is better spent on systems like this one and using a corded drill for heftier tasks. My two main B+D corded drills are still going after 30 years and do get used...

HTH,

E.

PS: I was using the impact driver with a socket set on daughter's car at the week-end. Very handy, especially in tight spaces.
*Radio Frequency Interference

Hmmmm .... interesting Eric.

Like the OP, mine came in quite a decent zip up "cloth" bag, not the "box" you mention.

I can't compare with others in the range (I don't have them), nor with Makita, but I do also have a DeWalt 10.8V drill (that came with an EXCELLENT set of "4 point" drills as a special offer so I copuldn't resist!) and I find both the Bosch and the DeWalt entirely comparable in all respects, although the Bosch is a little physically smaller than the DeWalt.

My Bosch is also about 2 years old and gets a lot of use. I wonder if yours is a "Friday" job because mine shows no sign of wear, slop, loose chuck, etc. In fact only yesterday I was putting quite deep countersinks into 4 mm thick L section mild steel (after drilling the 3.5 mm holes on the drill press) and it handled the countersinks very well indeed.

I have no sign of RFI from the charger either (and I do have a radio in my shop).

I too have a "GOP" but mine is the green Bosch mains-powered version (a direct "steal" of the Fein Multitool as far as I can see, but less than half the price) and like you I find mine invaluable, for both cutting and sanding. Blades are a bit expensive though, and the "plastic" half of the Velcro pad used to retain the triangular sanding sheets can melt when you press too hard (don't ask!).

I wonder if Bosch have more than one manufacturing site for that drill because it really does sound much different to mine?

Cheers
AES

All interesting stuff, I must admit I have been looking at the dewalt equivalents.

Everybodys (?) quality seems to have dropped, unless your buying the top of the range from a manufacturer these days then generally the tools are 'ok' or 'good enough' - I was looking through a bosch catalogue yesterday and despite all the tools being bosch blue 'pro' quality they still had a selection of drills/drivers/impacts that were labelled as the best ones and were dearer than the other models.

I have a selection of older dewalt cordless drills and compared to the newer lower end dewalt cordless drills they feel much better made. But when you look at what the shelf price was for the older ones (say 250 for 12v drill and 2 batts) compared to now (89ish??) then its not such a surprise.

I suppose what I'm trying to add to this wandering post of irrelevance is people shouldn't be suprised when they buy a Makita drill for 100 and find its not great or doesn't last that long.

That's not aimed at anybody, or of much use in this thread :) I'm off to my padded room now :shock:

Hi Skills - I agree totally, but for all that this Bosch is a pleasant surprise, honest. It needed to be a reasonable weight but is a right chunk in the hand. The ergonomics are excellent. I have a strong feeling this will work v well for a long time, and work hard too. But I also resign myself to the accelerating disposability of products generally - and in cordless the price of new batteries will end up resigning most drills (etc) to the bin anyway. I don't approve or like that, but it seems to me that is the new way. At least this Bosch is a system tool - i.e. the batteries may become a part of a core range of p.tools for me.
I have thought before that my £300+ Festool 12v will have to be 'resigned' when I need batteries... I suspect the Festool batteries will be more than the whole Bosch kit cost.
I would urge anyone to handle and work the Bosch anyway :- me + 1 fitted an entire big kitchen in a day, me with my Festool, him with the battered Bosch... and I quickly learned which one to grab first.

Hi Douglas,

The £100 drill statement was more aimed at the 'get a 18v mak with 2 batts for 99.99' etc rather than this sort of gear.

Aside from that, the Bosch is the purest example of this form - very compact yet powerfull. The dewalt 10.8 is very similar of course but has the traditional battery hanging below the handle which negates some of the compact idea, slightly cheaper than the bosch tho. The Metabo is some sort of hybrid, swappable heads/slightly larger like the dewalt but also available with 4 ah batteries =P~

I seriously considered the festool, I really have - especially seeing as I'm off on the tracksaw route. But like you say the disposability/price is now a serious factor.

So many choices, so little money #-o

Back