Lidl tool time again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
Just a heads up - lidl tools are back 10th Nov (tomorrow) inc the much praised chisels; and I'm quite partial to my small japanese saw too for small trimming, very handy with 2 types of blade.

Yes, those small saws are the business for cutting when you want a fine surface. Once I got mine home and tried it out I regretted not buying a second saw as a spare.

Do the lidl chisels need sharpening before use?

I'm a newbie so forgive me for asking the daft question.

Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Estoril-5":3dlcjbed said:
Do the lidl chisels need sharpening before use?
Yes.

This isn't because they're cheap, nearly all chisels you buy won't be sharp. In fact many don't even have an edge to speak of, just the bevel ground to shape with a small flat where the sharp edge would be.

If you want to look up Paul Sellers on sharpening as recommended above you'll have most luck if you search for Aldi chisel instead of Lidl as it's the Aldi ones he was recommending for years and years. The Lidl ones are pretty much the same, although I believe the surface grinder marks can be coarser.

I've got the saw, yes it's very sharp and gives a smooth finish, but some of the teeth have broken off. Best to go gently when sawing and not force it.

JohnPW":y2zk1y0s said:
I've got the saw, yes it's very sharp and gives a smooth finish, but some of the teeth have broken off. Best to go gently when sawing and not force it.

Once the blade is finally pineappled you have the source of a nice scraper

I have my set, the local lidl had put everything out tonight.

I have to agree with some comments i've read on these, the handles feel about an inch too long, but that can be fixed.

All in all, very pleased.

Went at 8.30 this morning and there wasn't a lot left. Got a set of chisels, the Japanese saws and a hobby knife, all for £17.50. Be rude not to at them prices.

DO NOT BUY THE CHISELS!!!
They are rubbish, bought them last time when they were on offer and the metal is just junk, they are decently sharp but... the metal quality is just garbage, I would rate that their usable lifetime is about 20minutes before you get a large chip in the metal or the ends brake off .All of the 4 chisels are now goners for me.. They looked pretty quality in shop, and when you take them in hand they also feel very nice, but that's about it #-o

oh and the japanese saw isn't really that good either. got it as well last time,I kinda regret I bought that junk as well, I use it from time to time when that's the only tool I could use for a task, but I'm certainly not enjoying using it
I bought it for cutting off dowel ends, shouldn't have bothered, it marks the surface like crazy even with baking paper underneath,using very very sharp stanley knife with fresh blade is much better for that task.

Oh btw watch out for a set of 3 stanley knifes I think it was only like £3 or £4 (+came with loads of spare blades) thoose things are just bloody awesome

Hmm, seems like your experience is the opposite end of the spectrum from:

"I did get two sets of the Llidl chisels, 8, 13, 18 and 24mm, and used them in the demonstrations I did today for the students. They are indeed one and the same as the Aldi set and they take and keep the same keen edge that parallel or exceed the best chisel sets available today. In north European redwood, tough stuff I have in stock, they kept their edges in chopping dovetails, paring and other operations throughout the day on one initial sharpening."

(Paul Sellers' blog post)

So perhaps there are quality control / consistency issues, which could well be the case in cheap items such as this. And of course it might be partly down to what is being asked of them. I'll be happy enough if the set I got does me my planned workbench, even if that's all they can do.

Who to believe?

Paul Sellers, lots of folks here who have been buying them with no problems for years.
Or
Someone who constantly moans about everything his host country has offered him and has a very dubious internet persona

Believe it or not we managed to work out for ourselves that at seven quid they were not absolutely top class.
They chipped due to misuse. :roll:

You need to be particularly dumb ( rudimentary knowledge of tooth profile tells you that) to think the saw would flush cut without marking,its not sold to do that.

lurker":1n40v1n8 said:
Who to believe?

Paul Sellers, lots of folks here who have been buying them with no problems for years.
Or
Someone who constantly moans about everything his host country has offered him and has a very dubious internet persona

Believe it or not we managed to work out for ourselves that at seven quid they were not absolutely top class.
They chipped due to misuse. :roll:

You need to be particularly dumb ( rudimentary knowledge of tooth profile tells you that) to think the saw would flush cut without marking,its not sold to do that.

Sir,I will post some pictures later on of the chisels.

btw I'm born in this country,moved away at age of 3 and recently moved back due to inherited property,can't say that I like this country very much due to people like yourself.
Please go wash your mouth Mr.Racist and take a walk.

owsnap":i6ccaqbk said:
Sir,I will post some pictures later on of the chisels.

btw I'm born in this country,moved away at age of 3 and recently moved back due to inherited property,can't say that I like this country very much due to people like yourself.
Please go wash your mouth Mr.Racist and take a walk.

You are right about the 'Japanese' style saw, but wrong about the chisels. Are you sure it is the same set that's currently on offer?

I have a set, and they are excellent. Not Lie Nielsen standard, but very good for a hobbiest set. They hold and edge, and feel good in the hand, and are reasonable well weighted.

Danger_MouseUK":1dw43nsd said:
I have to agree with some comments i've read on these, the handles feel about an inch too long, but that can be fixed.
I think they're too long as well as a bad shape, but it's wood so not too hard to fix. This is about the best I could figure to do with one of them without going with a ferrule:

VOxaHAw.jpg

Not the most attractive chisel handle I've made but my hand seems to like it well enough in use which is what really counts.

Back