Lidl swivel castors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look exactly the same as the ones I bought from Leroy Merlin, lasted about a week before I got fed up with the lock mechanism falling to piece's every time I tried to use it, replaced with some locking castors from "Caters on line" very happy with them.

Mike

Proves the value of a post promoting a product that the poster has no idea whether it is any good or not.

MikeJhn":222csel8 said:
They look exactly the same as the ones I bought from Leroy Merlin, lasted about a week before I got fed up with the lock mechanism falling to piece's every time I tried to use it, replaced with some locking castors from "Caters on line" very happy with them.

Mike
Do you have a link to the castors you bought?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well I don't know about the ones you bought from Leroy Merlin but I fitted my first set this morning and they have been working fine and the lock mechanism has survived a number of on and offs and has not shown any signs of loosening around the mechanism. Time will no doubt tell.

MikeJhn":s7xalx9k said:
Do a google search for "Castors online"

Mike
I've done that, but they sell about a bajillion different castors... Wondered which ones you actually bought.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MikeJhn":2f8w47w8 said:
http://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatalog/80mm-Medium-Duty-Swivel-Castors-with-Total-Stop-Brake-Blue-Rubber-Wheel-Roller-Bearing-PLS80RNBSWB.html#SID=39

Mike

Cheers. They look great!

I have them fitted to my Workbench, Table Saw, Router table, Planer Thicknesser and Band Saw, no problems in the six years they have been fitted to the Workbench, the others not as long, but still fine.

Mike

MikeJhn":1d8auzx8 said:
http://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatalog/80mm-Medium-Duty-Swivel-Castors-with-Total-Stop-Brake-Blue-Rubber-Wheel-Roller-Bearing-PLS80RNBSWB.html#SID=39

Mike

Ah wish I'd seen that earlier! Just bought some casters on ebay, don't look as good as those.

Next time though! Thanks for link.

OscarG":2d16vdp6 said:
MikeJhn":2d16vdp6 said:

Mike

Ah wish I'd seen that earlier! Just bought some casters on ebay, don't look as good as those.

Next time though! Thanks for link.

Seems a little pricey at £10 each? .. I usually go for a set of 4 on ebay for around £10 and they seem to work fine.

Can't claim credit for finding them, they where used on a Peter Parfitt video about the Axminster Professional Router table.

Mike

PS, that's why I did not link to them in the first post about them, someone will always want to pay less, but you get what you pay for.

Well from my first post telling people about the Lidl price for 2" castors we seem to have got into 80mm castor suitable for heavy machines. I use high quality 3.5" castors for my PT, bandsaw, router table and heavy workbench and 2" castors are far too small for such duty. However I have three 2 tier shelving units that I use for light weight bench top tools and these castors are fine. When training as a Chartered Engineer I was told early on that one of the most important considerations in design is 'fit for purpose'. Putting nice 80mm £10 each castors on these would be complete overkill and a waste of money. Let's make sure we are comparing things in context. The Lidl castors a well worth a look for light duty workshop units and if found faulty they are a good company for returns unlike ebay.

The problem with most trainers/professors/lecturers is they have never worked in the real world and in reality don't know what they are lecturing about in real terms, once you leave University and start to work in the real world you realise how misguided their teachings where, and don't forget the safety factor, now days I hear its three, it used to be two. LOL

Mike

bracspin":30rgnoxn said:
Well from my first post telling people about the Lidl price for 2" castors we seem to have got into 80mm castor suitable for heavy machines. I use high quality 3.5" castors for my PT, bandsaw, router table and heavy workbench and 2" castors are far too small for such duty. However I have three 2 tier shelving units that I use for light weight bench top tools and these castors are fine. When training as a Chartered Engineer I was told early on that one of the most important considerations in design is 'fit for purpose'. Putting nice 80mm £10 each castors on these would be complete overkill and a waste of money. Let's make sure we are comparing things in context. The Lidl castors a well worth a look for light duty workshop units and if found faulty they are a good company for returns unlike ebay.

Small castors only work well if the floor surface is very flat/smooth. Most peoples workshops tend to be their garages where the surface is not at all smooth, so bigger rubber castors help greatly

transatlantic":2thmh1vj said:
Small castors only work well if the floor surface is very flat/smooth. Most peoples workshops tend to be their garages where the surface is not at all smooth, so bigger rubber castors help greatly

Yep I agree. I bought some 50mm casters for some trolleys (router table), (planer thicknesser), the floor is some interlocking rubber mat. I really wish I'd have gone for bigger wheels.

I used Casters Direct a few times, bought some 50mm ones for £10 a pop (2 braked, 2 not) for my router table and *something else*. But at £40 a cabinet they're too expensive. I tried a set of 4 from Amazon for £18 delivered, 4 braked and 80mm wheels, same blue rubber and width. They're miles miles better than the ones I bought from Casters, before comparing prices. I assumed they were a pricing error, but I was able to order another 4 sets, can't remember where from now though.

I've used some of the smaller lighter ones, but they couldn't cope with the weight of my planer/thicknesser and one of the rubbers ripped off the wheel, those were 50mm ones rated for the weight, but failed due to side loading when turning the caster on a vinyl floor.

You definitely need large diameter for a rough concrete floor and heavy equipment.

paulrockliffe":1gcvwe9g said:
I used Casters Direct a few times, bought some 50mm ones for £10 a pop (2 braked, 2 not) for my router table and *something else*. But at £40 a cabinet they're too expensive. I tried a set of 4 from Amazon for £18 delivered, 4 braked and 80mm wheels, same blue rubber and width. They're miles miles better than the ones I bought from Casters, before comparing prices. I assumed they were a pricing error, but I was able to order another 4 sets, can't remember where from now though.

I've used some of the smaller lighter ones, but they couldn't cope with the weight of my planer/thicknesser and one of the rubbers ripped off the wheel, those were 50mm ones rated for the weight, but failed due to side loading when turning the caster on a vinyl floor.

You definitely need large diameter for a rough concrete floor and heavy equipment.

Any chance you could look in your Amazon Order history to get a link please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Elastic-R ... B00UFQ0JZ0 these are £17.50 and rated 140kg each.

https://www.firstcastors.com/en/blue-el ... dstp100ber
https://www.firstcastors.com/en/blue-el ... stpb100ber

I used the castors from Lidl yesterday on my shop vac/cyclone cart and they were fine. But anything heavier, I'd be wanting something more substantial.

Back