Lidl (Parkside) Belt Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
I see Lidl are doing a 600W Belt Sander for £24.99 at the moment. Has anyone bought/used one before? Any opinions on it would be helpful.

Thanks

I haven't used there belt sander but do have a Parkside planer which has been fine and used pretty regularly. It is 5 years old now and still going strong. :wink:

I wouldn't recommend them for professionals, but I have found that Lidl and Aldi tools ideal for hobby use. I work on the principle that if I kill one of theirs I am using it enough that I should look for something better.

2 year warranty though. You won't get a replacement but keep the receipt and it will be a no quibble refund.

I recently bought a bench grinder/belt sander from Aldi which i believe is similar. The second time I switched it on it started to make a weird sound and vibrate. I switched it off immediately and as it slowed down i noticed that the grinding wheel had come loose. the only thing that stopped it flying across the room was the safety cowling. So if you get one make sure you check everything is tight before starting it.

JJ1":bycws0n8 said:
I see Lidl are doing a 600W Belt Sander for £24.99 at the moment. Has anyone bought/used one before? Any opinions on it would be helpful.

Thanks

Got one of these the last time they were on offer as I'd never had one and wanted to see how useful it would be. Used pretty regularly since then, never let me down. Got it bolted upside down to my bench and it's as solid as can be. Pretty noisy in operation though.

Just went and bought the sanding belts as well - assorted grit 6-belt pack for £2.99. Can not go wrong IMO.

I bought one over the winter but have only recently used it. Seems to work OK. Have been cleaning up some old beams with it. Had some 24 grit in it to start as there was lots of paint and who knows what. Seems to work ok.
Has softstart. Couple of things to watch. I need to blast mine with an airline I think is the exhaust outlet for the dust seems to be blocked somewhere inside it where my screwdriver cant reach. Also not sure if other models/makes have a similar problem but the shiny plate underneath seems to get very hot with the friction. This would cause the glue on the belts to melt causing premature failure. So to get around this I would advise to remove belt as soon as you stop. I will be buying some graphite adhesive strip when I renovate my workshop sander so will try a bit of this on the metal plate. Its the first one I've had but seems quite capable and the guarantee as well.
Hope this helps
Danny

Thanks everyone for all the excellent feedback :)
I took the plunge and bought one along with four packs of the mixed grit sanding belts.
It will only be for occasional DIY use, hence the reason I wanted something cheap and cheerful rather than spending a lot more money on a tool that may not get a huge amount of use.

I once bought a multipack of sandpaper sheets from Lidl. Was the worst sandpaper I've ever used! Hope your belts are OK. If they loose grit ridiculously quickly or break just buy from a reputable company.

The replacement belts are also available from Toolstation.

That's useful to know, thanks.

I once bought a multipack of sandpaper sheets from Lidl. Was the worst sandpaper I've ever used!

I've not tried their regular sanding sheets but I have bought several boxes of mixed grit abrasives from them in the past, for their Orbital and Detail electric sanders and I found those very good, at least in my relatively limited sanding experience and the price was very good too. I've not had a chance to try the belts yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on those.

Bench grinder/Belt sander coming to Lidl on Thursday

Link

Are these OK for general DIY work ?

Latest posts

Back