Lidl - 12th November

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are Lidl chisels as good as Aldi? I'm beginning to think that Aldi either don't produce theirs any more or are holding off on selling them so there's a big rush next time.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

They are identical, only a different name stamped on the handles (I think).

Jonny

Saw a set of 3 or4 forstner type bits today. 'Reduced' to £8 Passed em up personally. Fairly small sizes. Might interest someone? (aldi btw. Then I got told off for not throwing my shopping in the cart and loading it into bags somewhere else lol) My face.... Ohhh I never knew?!? :D I'm sure they must pass a breathalyser before they start work, those checkout girls are fast!

Bm101":ko6oplg3 said:
I'm sure they must pass a breathalyser before they start work, those checkout girls are fast!
A Lidl assistant told me they are expected to scan 1,000 items an hour but they do pay living wage :roll:

Regards Keith

"Workshop" offers next thur 12 nov:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=692

Most of the same stuff as the Irish and Northern Irish offers at the moment:
http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?id=560
except the one item I'm really interested in doesn't seem to be included!

I was really looking forwards to this:
Parkside Wet & Dry Grinder 40gbp.jpg

http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/en/Offers.htm? ... l&id=30172
Parkside Wet & Dry Grinder £39.99

Ideal for working on metal, wood, plastic, tools and cutting devices or blades

Slow-rotating wet grinding wheel with corrosion-free water tank and closeable drain opening

Quick-rotating dry grinding wheel with adjustable spark protection and integrated magnifying glass

Suitable for permanent mounting on a workbench (mounting materials not included)

3 year guarantee

Rotation speed wet grinding wheel: 128 rpm Rotation speed dry grinding wheel: 2,950 rpm

Included accessories (pre‑assembled): wet grinding wheel with 80 grain size (Ø 200 x Ø 20 x 40mm), dry grinding wheel with 36 grain size (Ø 150 x Ø 12.7 x 20mm)

Attachments

• Parkside Wet & Dry Grinder 40gbp.jpg
    Parkside Wet & Dry Grinder 40gbp.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 561
Monkey Mark":1xx7c9um said:
Has anyone tried their Japanese saw?
I bought one of the Japanese saws in Lidl (in Northern Ireland) today. Comes with 17tpi and 22tpi blades.
I've had a Shark 22tpi saw for some time, found it very useful for flush cutting but it was reaching end-of life. I had bought a Stanley Fat Max flush cut saw as a replacement but didn't like it so I've been meaning to get another Shark.

The Lidl saw is identical (to the point of the handles being interchangeable) to the Shark. Well pleased.
lidlsaw1.jpg
lidlsaw2.jpg

I looked at the chisels but didn't purchase, the side bevels are quite thick but no more so than my black and yellow handled Stanleys.

I also bought one of the narrow belt sanders, comes with 9mm and 13mm wide belts. The manual says the supplied belts are 455mm long. Just for information of anyone buying one of these, B&Q stock 13mm x 451mm belts - these do fit.

Regards Jim

Attachments

• lidlsaw1.jpg
    lidlsaw1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 442
  • lidlsaw2.jpg
    lidlsaw2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 442
I got the flush cut saw last time as my "decent" one needed a new blade, been brilliant for cutting off hardwood plugs and dowels etc. Lasted ages, still on the first blade. Can't fault it.

Monkey Mark":vnqtkdyk said:

After buying the last one in stock I have been waiting for them to come back in.
First ever Jap I had used and well impressed =D>
Just hope they do not reduce the quality as they often do with other repeat items :evil:

Andy

Monkey Mark":3dtdbtme said:

I bought one set a while ago and was so impressed that I bought a second set and now keep one of each size blade in a handle all the time.

MCB

Off to get a saw and chisels tomorrow. Used to cut plugs off with a knife, luckily still haven't cut my hands.
btw can you cut plugs with this totally flush so you don't really need to go over them with a sander?

jim_hanna":230shwzo said:
I also bought one of the narrow belt sanders, comes with 9mm and 13mm wide belts. The manual says the supplied belts are 455mm long. Just for information of anyone buying one of these, B&Q stock 13mm x 451mm belts - these do fit.

Regards Jim

I bought one of these too

I had to re-tap the threaded hole for the tracking screw because the latter would NOT turn easily. But after ten minutes with a tap, all was OK

Does anybody know if the 13 x 457 mm Cloth Sanding Belts (Pack of 10 for £2.99) sold by Screwfix (3 different grades) will fit?
http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=1 ... ding+belts

MC

Went in today at 12:00 for a Japanese saw and the security bits etc. Only three of the bit sets I was after still left so lucky I didn't leave it any later!

Picked up the chisels, saw and the £3.99 drill bit set today, along with some thermal socks.

Not sure how well the drill bits will fare but 3.99 isn't bad considering I probably paid that for one of B&Q's own brand and that ended up snapping mid way through its first job and is now buried beneath some wood filler in the door frame leading in to my shed.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

the chisels were selling fast when I went at lunchtime- i think that there were 6 sets left, I bought 2 sets, the chap behind me bought 1, so i doubt that there are any there now.

Picked up the chisels, sanding set, and some triple AAA rechargeable batteries.

The sanding set has a LOT of sheets to it, the sponge blocks Ok, the sanding block itself though is pants, horrible size and shape, though the springs to hold the sandpaper in place are removable, so will make something more tactile/usable ... an old mousepad should do for a sponge backing, and maybe add the springs to that.

The chisels. On first look I wasn't impressed, the smallest, 8mm from memory has almost as thick a bevel as it's width, but in fairness that wouldn't get much use. I went to the inch one though and instantly fell for it, lovely weight and balance, one of those tools that you just hold and balance and let rock in your hand because it's good to do so. Gave it a light sharpen and flattened the back at it's edge and polished .. and my it does hold a good edge! Mortised out a lump of tulip, that while not the hardest of timbers is 20+ plus years old, and it ate it's way through that. So far so good!

You ever have one of those moments where you laugh at yourself and everyone around looks at you thinking you must be special?

Well today I went into Aldi for these items. Yes, Aldi. I was half way round the store before I realized my silly mistake and laughed out laud. #-o

Then..... Went into Lidl and got the chisels and saw. About 6 sets of chisels left and only 3 saws at 12:30 so most likely gone by now.

Not had a look at them yet as I'm at work. They are currently keeping my car seat company.

Latest posts

Back