Letter jig advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a little job to make a sign post similar to this:

FINGERSLIDE1.jpg

I intend mine tobe less rustic than this, so I'm turning the main post and finial, making a cross halved foot so she can move it around the garden, and for the signs I was thinking of buying the Trend letter templates:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Trend-Letter-and-Number-Templates-22594.htm

Does any one have experience of these? Are they any good? Worth the money?

Can any one think of a better way of doing the lettering that isn't too time consuming (have already discarded the ideas of Pyrographing and hand carving).

Any thought welcome.

Cheers

Richard

Rich, I can do this for you on the CNC if you like? That way, you can just chose your font 8)

I've made a couple of house signs using the Trend templates Richard.

Drawbacks are that they are (or were when I was doing it) just upper case, don't know if they now do lower case as well, one style of font, and you have to figure out the spacing of the letters yourself.

The last sounds trivial but makes a very big difference to the finished result.

It's also a faff havingto do one letter at a time then change or move the template, rather than being able to position all the letters and do them all in one go.

So I would take Tom up on his offer if you get the chance !

Otherwise the Trend templates are okay but tiresome to use and a bit limited.

Cheers, Paul :D

paulm":27w1yo8b said:
I've made a couple of house signs using the Trend templates Richard.

Drawbacks are that they are (or were when I was doing it) just upper case, don't know if they now do lower case as well, one style of font, and you have to figure out the spacing of the letters yourself.

The last sounds trivial but makes a very big difference to the finished result.

It's also a faff havingto do one letter at a time then change or move the template, rather than being able to position all the letters and do them all in one go.

So I would take Tom up on his offer if you get the chance !

Otherwise the Trend templates are okay but tiresome to use and a bit limited.

Cheers, Paul :D

Agree 100% with Paul re - letter spacing and the continual re-positioning of the template

Dave

Haven't used the Trend template, just a set of standard box stencils and then worked freehand. BUT, the only advice I'd give is to make very sure you have the right spelling - made a house sign for our neighbours in slate, and only realised the spelling mistake when SWMBO pointed it out :oops:

In the past I printed the text out in word, in the size and font I wanted.
Then pva`d the paper to the timber (or use spray mount),
Then carefully freehand router the text, then just sand off the paper.

hope this helps, davin

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I think I'm going to give Wizer's CNC a run out!!

Will post pictures of how it goes!

Cheers

Richard

I have the trend one and last year bought the milescraft from Rutlands much easy to use 10 times faster not having the templent to move after each letter also can do upper and lower case.

have made a few name boards in Oak which looks great

Hi Olwyn

Just had a look on Rutlands sight. Looks like an interesting bit of kit (and on offer too!!) but a bit of a wierd font? Have you any pictures of your results.

Going with Wizer on this one but might be useful for future reference...

Cheers

Richard

I used to own that Milescraft thing. I couldn't get on with it at all, over-priced rubbish if you ask me. However Stevebuk seems to have got on with it well. Either way, you are restricted to one font and a set size\spacing.

Instead of using power tools and jig templates, how about carving them

I have been carving house signs for 30 years and begun with simple bevel edge chisels in sizes from 5 mm to the largest being 12 mm and the results are perfect.

I either write the text on the wood direct with a normal ball point pen or if its a slightly more difficult font, write it out to size on paper, and then transfer it by using carbon paper on to the work piece.

don't use a pencil to write your text, as the subsequent lines are to thick and makes the edges of the lettering less definitive and can have a negative effect on your carved margins. i have done commemorative plaques also using this technique, and again all using simple bevel edge chisels.

The secret is good sharp and precise marking of the letters edges/outlines, and if you can get that right, you are laughing. :lol: :lol:

Have a go by just

:)

wizer":3hkks2lb said:
Rich, I can do this for you on the CNC if you like? That way, you can just chose your font 8)

I didn't realise you had a CNC router. Being nosey I'd be interested in any info/pictures (or a link to an earlier thread that I must have missed.

Hope you're coping with being back at work OK.

Misterfish

I haven't started a thread on it yet. I'm still learning how to use it. It's a CarveWright, which is more a 'carving' machine than a proper CNC. But it should serve to do some interesting stuff.

Latest posts

Back