Let there be light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twister

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
the positive feedback to my first post has spurred me into action. I went a bit lamp crazy over the w/e. I made this from some yew that i rescued from a friends woodpile
eceabdd6.jpg

the piece used for the base was heavily cracked but I used the tip chas suggested & filled with darker dust. while not perfect I'm very pleased with it :p
eceabdd7.jpg
I have some banskia nuts which I got from axminster which are rather 'long & skinny' compared to the ones I get locally, so I decided to have a go with one of them (I'd forgotten how dusty they are to turn). I couldn't get the shape right & kept rechucking it and taking a bit more off; i ended up with this;
eceabdd5.jpg

the base is a bit 'fat', but it's given me a few ideas for how to do it better next time (I've only been at this turning lark since last christmas). how come you can never find a plug when you need one :?: :?:

Twister

Now I'm in trouble, someone not far away from my shoulder a few minutes ago has been asking for a table lamp for a couple of months :whistle: :oops:

Nicely finished Twister, re: the base, if you had made it any slimmer looking I think you may have had to weight it with metal to give it stability.

Very nice work,and very nicely finished :D - I've got a banksia nut on the lathe at the moment,so I know what you mean about being dusty..

Andrew

Thanks guy's,
the finish on both is just a couple of thin coats of cellulose & a rub with the Liberon wax stick. the base of the Yew lamp was a bit tricky as it's basically an inverted natural edge bowl and the corners can give the nuckles quite a rap.

Andrew,
If it's not a rude question; what you planning to do with your nuts :?: :oops: :oops:

Twister

twister":1oiyp9qx said:
Andrew,
If it's not a rude question; what you planning to do with your nuts :?: :oops: :oops:

Twister

Carry on using the cream until it clears up.. :lol:
Oh,those nuts :oops: - don't know,really - saw them when I was at John Boddys and thought it seemed like a good idea.Have just turned it to get rid of the knobbly bits,then the fluffy bits - after having seen your lamp,am probably going to turn a base for it and top it with one of the candle holders I got from Axminster to make a Christmas present for some lucky person..

Andrew

Back