Lesson learnt!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transit80

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I was turning a small box on my lathe for the wife,you know the thing a small round box to keep small things in,( I am new to this turning hobby)
I had finished making the bottom of the lid and turned it round in the chuck to turn the top,finished that so sanded the top and thought I would apply the sealer,sealer applied I then thought why not put the friction polish on now(hahaha great idea), as soon as I tried putting the polish on it exploded and all of the jaws flew out of the chuck and two of them hit me one in the shoulder and one in my left leg,it b***dy hurt I can tell you.
I had turned the piece round in the chuck and was using it so the jaws were opening into the lip of the lid and they were at/over the maximum width.
I should have measured the open width of the chuck to see if it was too wide :roll: , unfortunately it was :roll: .

I wont do that again!!!!!

Lesson learnt. :oops: .

Chris

Hi Chris, maybe next turn turn a jam chuck for doing the polishing. It doesn't mark the wood and prevents little bits of metal flying around the workshop inflicting pain and frightening you to death :lol:

Regards Keith

Since my exploding horse chestnut bowl I have now opted to use compressive gripping only. Surprising how well and quickly a bit of pain will change your habits :)

What I do now is using the parting tool cut a slot for the jaws in the bottom of the (usually bowl). The tenon is then semi hidden and the piece held in compression.

P1030043.JPG

P1030110.JPG

I realise for many this leaves the piece a bit unfinished... but you could always go old school an glue green baize on the bottoms to protect the furniture :)

Attachments

• P1030043.JPG
    P1030043.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 1,114
  • P1030110.JPG
    P1030110.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,114
Why not just add the finishing touch and put that bowl back on the lathe. In your chuck, use a round piece of wood with a bit of felt on top, put that in the open side of the bowl and jam it on using the tailstock - carefully, try to put it as close to exactly in the middle as you can.

Then, finish the foot, leaving a small tenon in the middle (3/4", smaller if you dare). Take the bowl off, remove the tenon with a chisel and sand the foot by hand. It'll look 100% better, imvho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMpGEzfoWKw

I know it might look better, but the bottoms are seldom seen, bit like the underneaths of cars. I have done a few as you suggested, and it has left me with bowls that are now "gone" from me. I can't put them back in to repolish or repair and somehow I feel as if I have lost touch with them. Much of my wood isn't entirely seasoned so for the first year or two need a bit of TLC :) But to be truthful, probably a bit lazy also. Again, pretty much everything I make is well over engineered I really do not like flimsy so they do have a "chunky" look.

But thanks for the reply.

The verticals and main cross memebers are 9" x 3" (230mm x 80mm in newspeak)

pergola1s.jpg

Attachments

• pergola1s.jpg
    pergola1s.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 980
Scary. It's only happened to me once and I wasn't in the firing line.
Transit80":2y55gj6t said:
I should have measured the open width of the chuck to see if it was too wide :roll: , unfortunately it was :roll: .
My simple rule is to check that the jaw holders never protrude beyond the chuck body on my Versachuck, then they're always fully engaged.

Back