Leigh D1600

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetlh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have done a quick search but i cant find the information i need. Could any of the Leigh D1600 owners tell me the thinnest section you can do half blind dovetails on this jig? I would like to dovetail 8 or even 6mm sides into a 20mm front. Is this possible?

O
The manual recommends half inch sides as a minimum but says that if you want thinner sides you must pack the piece up from the table.
So yes, you can rout thinner sides-although I recommend a few trial cuts first.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Thanks philly. So would you recomend the Leigh? I only want to cut dovetails but i want them to be spaced out and not look machined. Was also looking at the Trend DC400. Have you or anyone used this jig?

I have got the D$ which is basically the full length version and am very happy with it.

My manual says that that for half blind DT the cutter length must be less than the pinboard thickness, the shortest cutter is 3/8"

It does say that the tailboard thickness is not affected by cutter choice but I cant se a max/min thickness.

Jason

O
I like the Leigh a lot-it is simple and quick to use and makes pretty joints. They look much better than the fixed pattern jigs (although if you want the most skinny, hand made-looking dovetails you can't beat the Rat)
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Thanks for the advice. I went for the leigh in the end. Am very impressed so far, cant fault it in any way. Just tried my first half blind joint and it came out perfect! Looking into it you can join a 6mm side to a thicker front but only half blind. So i will have to start using 9mm sides so i can through dovetail the sides to the back.... unless i do them by hand.

Back