Left hookers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I am a left-hander too. I am a cabinetmaker, using a bench made for right-handed workers, and use right-handed handplanes, like fillisters and panel raiser planes, regularly.

By the way, outboard turning of bowls on the "other end" of a lathe spindle is a real occasion for left-handers, as the work spins the other way.

Bye,

János

Hi,

I'm ambi too, I just use whatever hand/leg/eye feels comfotable at the time.

Handedness is nothing to do with with our physical body, it is derived from the mind. The sooner you can get over the mental hangup the easier life will be.

Why don't you just do it right handed? It will feel odd for a little while but eventually you'll get it.

It's not like right handers have an instincual problem with driving is it. Gear stick on the left and all that.

Cheers,

Lee.

Having just read this post an idea comes to mind. For those who have not been bored by my thing for human powered tools... Fair warning . This is about the treadle and spring-polers amongst us (a vanishingly small lot no doubt). Someone mentioned moving to the other side of the lathe earlier and that caught in the dusty cavern I call a mind. On a spring pole type lathe this is very possible simply by wrapping the drive cord differently. I have been meaning to build a simple spring pole and now think I should give a play at going bas ackward on it for a laugh as I am a lefty. It always seems funny to me that the posts that you would think won't help you are the ones that spark new ideas. Thank you Jonz , another random moment to have fun with.

The problem I have with human powered tools is that if I have to push anything like a plane or saw the arthritis in my hands kicks back and I can't do it. Very frustrating because one of my favorite tools is the smoothing plane.. :( :(

Don't forget to put the tredle on the other side too Mike or you may get the sharp end of it?? :D I have always admired anyone who can use a pole lathe. If it were me I would probably finish up trying to cut on the back turn? :? :?

John , amigo mio , never claimed I knew how to use it. But as one of Canadas few 50 plus yr. old infants the very idea of it causes my play function to thrum with anticipation. My joy in woodworking is not so much about producing as it is playing. Sort of sums up my whole life philosophy. When people hear me singing to myself or chuckling at some random bit of lunacy and call me on it I always tell the that if I cannot sing and dance then why would I want to continue to play this game?
The lathe project is going to be an antidote to the white blanket that is now everywhere the eye can reach. My daughter and I will no doubt have a million chuckles while Cucumbering up and un-Cucumbering the prototype, not to mention those first few curly bits of flying wood that will no doubt posess more craft merit than the projects themselves. Objective : have the chuckles.
As George Carlin once said (more or less) Those that laugh at you as you dance down the street just don't hear the music.

Back