left handed veritas plough plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjm

Naturally different
Reaction score
Why does the Veritas plough plane only come in a right-handed version in the UK? I have not found one reference to the left-handed version (which does exist) on any of the UK suppliers sites?

Brian

I can source one - that's not a problem - I'm just curious as to why they are not mentioned anywhere in the UK, especially as their other fenced-planes are available in right/left versions?

Brian

I thought the original idea was to sell them in pairs. Maybe the price put them off.

Personally I paired mine up with a LN LH Iron 140 which gives a few additional options such as tenon trimming (if you are r handed). Obviously it's not so optimised for LH rebating as the skew rebate but it's OK. The other good use for the 140 is shooting small mouldings where the skew keeps the mold down against the stop

Don't think there was ever any intention of selling the ploughs as a pair, Brian (Modernist). As for availability, perhaps the habit of drumming left-handedness out of people has yet to die out in UK woodworking circles? :-k

Cheers, Alf

The Small Plough (Plow) Planes are sold separately - even in Canada.
But the Skew Rabbet Planes can be bought as a pair (saving CDN$69).

Rod

Harbo":1g28c1nm said:
The Small Plough (Plow) Planes are sold separately - even in Canada.
But the Skew Rabbet Planes can be bought as a pair (saving CDN$69).

Rod

There was an offer when they first came out but it mysteriously vanished before you could buy one in the UK - and the price went up! My note on this was had the price excised on the other side. :roll: :roll:

Never mind though I picked up a free plane from my cousin today and it turned out to be a No 8 with corrugated sole.

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

Looking forward to tuning these up

:D :D :D :D

Back