Lee Valley Utilitas mortice gauge heads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
Nicely made as ever, more reasonably priced than Titemark, and fits all 8mm or 5/16 shaft gauges. but.....

Made in a way that when correctly mounted (bevel to bevel) you cannot mark a mortice of much under 10 mm (3/8"?). LV are in company, too; I did not buy the Titemark version which is even worse at ~ 11mm. The gauge itself is very "fine furniture" but mortices this big are getting rather heavyweight!

Please, please, please, why can't that Very Nice Mr Lee make these the other way round with the bevel on the side opposite the grub screw? They might be a bit harder to sharpen - but this might mean you sell a few more!

You can improve the situation a little by pairing a single mortice cutter with a Titemark scoring blade (the same diameter). This lets you mark down to about 6.5mm; this is still too big!

Mine came from Axminster, featured in "Top Tools" flyer as "New"

Another problem with these is that you cant put a stop point in with your pin and its so difficult to see where to stop + the scribed line is raised at the ends and not the depth of the central point of the scribe, if you catch my drift? I really think they are a waste of money versus the pin or knife versions, IMHO of course :roll:

Latest posts

Back