Lee Valley Pocket Marking Guage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just got this as part of an order of things that you can't (as far as I know) get in the UK.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.a ... at=1,42936

It's great and it does what it says on the tin. I reckon the only improvement you could make to it would be to double the diameter of the two end pieces. Somebody needs to start importing this (if they haven't already).

Hi Andy

I purchased one of these in Canada; very handy as you say, and very simple to make. My only improvement would be a little bit of friction (O-ring?) to avoid unwanted movement when tightening down. Much cheaper in Canada!

Duncan

I bet they are cheaper in Canada!

Certainly because of the post costs such things need to be part of a bigger order, otherwise you end up paying way over the top.

Duncan A":1p5gebt2 said:
Hi Andy

I purchased one of these in Canada; very handy as you say, and very simple to make. My only improvement would be a little bit of friction (O-ring?) to avoid unwanted movement when tightening down. Much cheaper in Canada!

Duncan

I agree with Duncan. Its difficult to tighten the set enough on this model marking gauge to prevent slippage. The knurled adjusters are poorly designed. They should have been made slightly larger in dia. and a straight slot machined that would accept a blade screwdriver.

Stewie;

swagman":1jdaf2re said:
Duncan A":1jdaf2re said:
Hi Andy

Duncan

I agree with Duncan. Its difficult to tighten the set enough on this model marking gauge to prevent slippage. The knurled adjusters are poorly designed. They should have been made slightly larger in dia. and a straight slot machined that would accept a blade screwdriver.

Stewie;
I've had no problems with mine so far but then again it is brand new. Maybe it will tend to slip as it wears. I shall be watchful.

So, Lee Valley / Veritas could tweak it with our suggested couple of upgrades or perhaps a small firm could pick up the baton?

Andy Kev.":181fivgs said:
So, Lee Valley / Veritas could tweak it with our suggested couple of upgrades or perhaps a small firm could pick up the baton?

Small firms typically have excellent products, but might well struggle to make this particular one for LV's $19:00.

BugBear

2 measurements on one tool - good idea?
Re-inventing the wheel?
Better idea is the trad wood marking gauge where for two measurements to be repeated you have two gauges. New about a fiver - 2nd hand £2 ish. Unbeatable and easiest to use by far.
Good ideas to have several and at least two mortice gauges

Andy Kev.":3ckm5tsz said:
I've just got this as part of an order of things that you can't (as far as I know) get in the UK.

It's great and it does what it says on the tin. I reckon the only improvement you could make to it would be to double the diameter of the two end pieces. Somebody needs to start importing this (if they haven't already).

It would take me about two seconds to use the wrong end of that thing.

CStanford":28olioff said:
Andy Kev.":28olioff said:

It would take me about two seconds to use the wrong end of that thing.
I thought exactly that before I even ordered it and I thought I was being quite a genius when I stuck one of those little sticky backed paper circles on one end (you can get them from stationers, probably WH Smith and incidentally I find them excellent for marking up the two halves of joints) and then I saw Derek Cohen's engraved marking (see his link) and realised that as ever, there's always somebody cleverer than me.

I'm embarrassed to show my spray painted marking and cutting gauges. It is handy to have a selection. I'm sure one can imagine these in their mind's eye. I won't be photographing these!

CStanford":1hbduoif said:
I'm embarrassed to show my spray painted marking and cutting gauges. It is handy to have a selection. I'm sure one can imagine these in their mind's eye. I won't be photographing these!

Charles ... that is the attitude difference between a professional - for who tools are a means to an end, and an amateur - for whom tools are not. Personally, i'd love to see your tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

CStanford":1h7971n0 said:

Charles ... that is the attitude difference between a professional - for who tools are a means to an end, and an amateur - for whom tools are not. Personally, i'd love to see your tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

A more pedestrian kit of tools never existed I can assure you. Mostly all recognizable British brands but the mass-made stuff, Record and Marples. I can't think of anything scintillating in the whole gaggle.

The spray painted gauges are from Clay. Very affordable. We set these up when I was doing a production run and had a few helpers. We needed to hold four gauge settings so I bought gauges and painted them. We referred to them by color and checked them at lunch and at quitting time to make sure they didn't lose their setting. They did not, in fact they held them for several months all the way to the end of the project. The pins remained very sharp. I recommend them without reservation.

Back