Lean-to Greenhouse (x1) Completed!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BB - nicely done, but question pocket holes on the outside frame? Pliers also not a permanent part of the greenhouse :lol:

'SWMBO is happy, my debt is paid' .....not going to happen :D - Rob

I knew the pocket holes would be controversial! :oops:

They are only for the doors and the lid (Which are also glued). The holes will be filled and finished before it goes out so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem with moisture ingress.

The decision to use pocket screws for the lid and doors was mainly because of time factor (SWMBO getting inpatient), and for the lid, the stock was too thin (20mm) to M&T succesfully. Maybe i'll come to regret the decision, but the frame itself is fine, so if in a couple of years I have to replace the doors and lid i'll be in a better position to them properly.

Nice one Byron. I have something very similar on the order books - quite a long way down, though! Have scrapbooked yours as I'm sure it will provide plenty of inspiration. :)

Would it be rude to ask roughly how much the materials came to?

Dave

Nice one, it looks a bit posh for a greenhouse, apart from the pliers, are you going to fit one of those auto opening cylinder thingies, the ones that open more the hotter it gets?

Good job Byron.

Martin

tiler - because I ballsed up!!

Basically, the pocket-holes were supposed to be on the back/underside. The plan to fit the glazing was to use the glazing beads on the back to provide the backing for the glazing panel and putty was going to be used on the front, however, the putty was a total disaster so I had no other choice at that point to turn the lid/doors round and use the glazing bead as the front and grip-fill the panels.

Now you must realise at this point I was super-peed off with it due to that mistake, when in hindsight I should have done what I did on the frame and that was to cut some thin strips and fix the glazing panels in that way, but being angry and pestered I rushed into a 'solution' which wasn't/isn't ideal.

Dave I dont have the exact figure as I bought the wood over a period of months (which again in hindsight was a mistake). It was all 2x2 and 1x2 par meranti. I estimate that it cost about £200 - there is a lot of wood in the shelves and I would recommend that you make these out of a cheaper softwood

Hi Martin - the pliers are there just to show the lid being open, at somepoint i'll be fitting a hinge/slider type of thing.

"because I ballsed up!! "

Byron,

We've all been there (every job I've done in my case).
Takes guts to publish our cock ups - I congratulate you.

Well done Byron. I may just be nicking that idea next year ;)

BB, I had to double check the subject line there - looks more like a display case! =D> I do hope TPTBs don't look over my shoulder while this thread is open... 8-[ Reckon you learnt loads doing that one - not least about pocket screws. ;) Good on yer for that btw; takes guts to admit "whoops" in public.

Cheers, Alf

Well like Alf I thought I was looking at a display case not something thats going to sit amongst cabbages =D> and I thought the pocket holes could be made in to a nice feature by making some dowel up out of dark wood to fill them :wink: I wouldn't even give it a rating as gaffs go, nowhere near as bad as doing a 3/4" dado the wrong side of the line :lol: :wink: and then doing the same thing again. :lol:

I recommend a irwin detail pullsaw (screwfix) to cut off maranti plugs and the fix will be hardly noticeable also the house will last for a long time.

Thanks for all the nice comments chaps/chapettes, it's always good for ones self-esteem to receive positive feedback.

Alf - you're right, I did learn a helluva lot during this project, especially the M&T's and how not to use glazing putty. But more importantly, I need to plan projects a bit better to begin with in regards to having the correct tooling and all the material at the beginning of the project to eradicate delays.

OLD - I have a couple of nice japanese pull-saws and it was an idea to cut some plugs for the pocket-holes, the other option was too purchase the Kreg pre-made plugs but didn't want to throw more money at the problem.

So, I have just received a couple of pots of mahogany filler and will be filling and sanding them tomorrow when dry.

Nibbo - SWMBO said the same thing, she likes them as a feature and even went as far to say that I could use contrasting wood (didn't like the idea myself).

In hindsight I think what I should have done is taken the time to mill rebates into the lid and doors to accept the glazing, and then cut some strips for glazing beads and routed a 45 degree chamfer on the inside profile - but at the time I thought it would be too difficult - doh!

Latest posts

Back