lathe vibration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Established Member
Reaction score
Iv'e not long been given a Coronet Minor Wood Lathe with a few other devices, I have bolted it to a wooden bench which is fastened to the shed wall, on starting up the lathe I could hear a vibration humming sound which is quite irritating is there any sort of anti vibration pads that I can put under the mounting brackets, I have been surfing the net and so far had no luck I would appreciate advice on how to over come this problem. Plus I don't want to upset the niebours

Carl

Carl wrote
Plus I don't want to upset the niebours
How bad is the vibration for you to worry about your nieghbours :shock:
Sounds like something more drastic.Is this on slow speed too.
Paul.J.

Check the adjustment of the main bearing you can undo a lock ring then rotate the bearing to tighten it up and re lock this removes side to side play.
It can also help to support the motor (block of wood ) to get rid of vibration.

Iv'e not long been given a Coronet Minor Wood Lathe with a few other devices, I have bolted it to a wooden bench which is fastened to the shed wall, on starting up the lathe I could hear a vibration humming sound which is quite irritating is there any sort of anti vibration pads that I can put under the mounting brackets, I have been surfing the net and so far had no luck I would appreciate advice on how to over come this problem. Plus I don't want to upset the niebours

Carl
Hi there Carl,

For many years I worked in the M&E Industry and worked on numerous projects which had various pieces of machinery, plant and equipment including pumps, fans, compressors etc etc.

Recently I have been on a search for a Union Graduate lathe and, as I remember them at school 40-50 years ago, they were big, heavy, powerful and noisy beasts.

My initial thoughts have focussed on whether I might find myself having to strip a machine down to replace top and bottom bearings, finding replacement parts and, how to convert a machine from 415volts, 3 phase wiring, motor and switch gear to operate on 240 volts, single phase.
However, just this week I realised that I would need to get my head around the concrete floor or base that this machine will sit on and the all important ‘anti vibration mountings’.

So, like you I started a search, using google and eBay but unlike you, I came up with lots and lots of stuff that is going to be suitable.

Years ago, I recall pumps, fans, compressors sat on AVM’s or TICO matting I think it was called. I have also taken a look at two shower pumps I fitted at home some years ago and sure enough they have got a rubber Anti Vibration Matting under them.

so, it might be worth a search using ‘AntiVibration’ mountings or matting.

best wishes,
David.

Might be something simple like worn drive belt or worn/damaged pulleys.

Is there any way to load up the base with sand bags or some other granular ballast? The more mass you can add, the more it will deaden vibration.

Try running the lathe with the drive belt slackened off to see if the vibration is coming from the motor.

I looked at getting some Tico pads for one of my lathes and decided they were far too expensive so I made my own pads from cork (Ikea place mats!) and gasket foam rubber. I'm still using those after 12 years! On my other lathe, I just have squares of carpet under the feet for vibration damping. That seems to work fine too.

Back