Lathe tripping the power

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocalOak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have an old Myford ML8 which runs nicely but regularly trips the power. A bit of a pain as I have to tramp in from the workshop and reset the trip switch on the consumer unit in the house - it also puts out some of the house at the same time, including the TV and the phone which doesn't impress swimbo.

I have a consumer unit in the workshop but it's normally the one in the house that goes, I have a spur off the ringmain going to my workshop, 13A I think.

The lathe has either a 0.5HP or 0.75HP motor, I suspect the 0.75 but I am a definite novice when it comes to this sort of thing. When I turn the lathe on the lights dim until it's up to speed, takes about a second or two.

I have two questions.

1. is there anyway I can ensure that it always trips the workshop consumer unit first so I don't have to come back to the house?

2. does this suggest I need to replace the motor? Or is it just that a 0.75 HP motor is pushing it for a 13A spur?

Sorry to ask such naive questions but I am going round in circles trying to find an answer and would be very grateful for any pointers in the right direction.

Thanks

toby

Hi Toby

If you are taking a spur from the house consumer unit to the consumer unit in the workshop then that i really underpowered.

You need to install a breaker in the consumer unit in the house and have that going the the consumer unit in the workshop.

I am not sure the size you will need as that depends on the type of machinery you are using.

Cheers

Dave

Ah, that makes sense. So I'm running everything in the house on the that spur and the workshop together. An electrician put this in for me when they re-wired the house, said it would be fine.

The lathe is by far the biggest thing I use, the only other things are powertools with a big triton router (1500W I think) as the next biggest.

I'll go talk to that electrician...

If your lights are dimming when starting such a small motor then your installation is suspect. I second the need to get a spark in to sort it out.

Bob

Back