lathe chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmagnet

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got a lathe chuck for sale. Mine got stolen recently and i'd only just got it from the kid's for x-mas. I need a 3/4 x 16tpi, my lathe is a clarke cwl12d, Fund's are limited so i only want something to learn on, ideally i would like to try turning a small bowl so hopefully one of you might have a cheapy you outgrew lying around.
Thanks Kevin.

HI

Below is a picture of the chuck I have offered to Kevin. I have never used it myself so dont know what it is like, has anyone used one?

Draper no longer make this chuck and no other jaws are available for it as far as I know.

The jaws close onto a 70mm spigot or expand into a 85mm dovetail.

Your comments on it welcome.

john

Thanks John, hopefully someone can explain a bit about it as i have no experience yet with chucks :? , mine was gone before i even got the box open. :evil:

I have this chuck which I`ve just recently used to make some bridge pins for the guitar I`m building. I was never impressed with the chuck because it only has one tommy bar and one hole in the chuck to use it. This means you have to finger tight the chuck onto your work piece and then get further tightening by holding the workpiece and using the tommy bar. They should have drilled two holes in the chuck for two tommy bars. I think they updated this chuck later. It`s no good for large bowl projects but alright for small work. It came with one large and one small inside/outside dovetail jaws.

rounding_pin_stock.jpg

I bought the Axminster collett chuck especially for making guitar bridge pins. What a lovely little chuck. Well pleased with it.

part_turned_pin_head.jpg
[/img]

Mornin' Kevin. Sorry to hear about your dilemma with your new chuck, but that is what a lot of folks are like today. The d*** h**** will lift anything.

I haven't got a chuck for sale but thought I may be able to try and point you in the right direction.

IMO Any reputable scroll chuck will do the job you want, ie - Nova / Axminster / Sorby / Multistar. What you should look for is, 1/ Make sure the spindle thread fixing can be changed at a later date. This is if you ever change your lathe. 2/ Preferably one which is operated by a singe key. Twin bar operated scrolls are cheaper, but not as convenient to use. 3/ A chuck for which you can purchase many different sized jaw sets. You don't have to buy these, but as you work you will find you could use the odd different size, and at least they will be available.

Also don't forget that most decent chucks are not that expensive, say £100 - £140 will get you a fairly good one. The biggest expense is always the jaw sets if you want to branch out. 2 extra jaw sets can cost as much as the chuck. This is the reason I say you should be able to take the chuck with you if you change your lathe. Let's face it a Nova with all the jaw sets would set you back close to £600 +. They ain't cheap things.

I wish you good luck in your quest, and hope this is some help.

Hello
I bought this chuck from axminster about a month ago
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21160&name=clubman&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0
It is brilliant!!!
Also if you phone axminster up and ask for the technical advisor, you get put through to some really helpful guys. They don't give you the hard sell just good advice.
It helps to be on the internet at the same time and they guide you around. The axminster site can be a bit hard to navigate, I was looking for a certain set of jaws to go with my chuck and the tech guy was brilliant.
Hope this helps
Rich B

Back