Lathe Accessories

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aritoni

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to start some projects on a lathe and am interested in bowl and hollow form turnings. I have a 1050's Walker Turner lathe and would appreciate advice on chucks, cutting tools and tool rests I should think about for the type of work I would like to try.

Any advice?

Hello,Aritoni - what have you got now (if anything) ?
Tool rests - I have a curved bowl rest,but probably just use the standard 12" straight rest 80-90% of the time.
Chucks - any decent four-jaw chuck (Axminster Clubman/Precision range,VersaChuck,Supernova etc.)
Tools - roughing gouge,bowl gouge,parting tool as a starting point; hollowing tools are a seperate issue - you can easily spend £100 on just one :shock:

Andrew

Could I just clarify the use of a roughing gouge as you expressed an interest in bowls and hollow forms. A roughing gouge should only be used for parallel grain/spindle turning and not for cross grain/bowl work. It is not designed for the stresses involved in bowl work being forged rather than milled from round bar. In an extreme case it can break at the tang. There is a movement at present to get it 'renamed' the spindle roughing gouge to try and avoid the confusion experienced by beginners to turning.

Mark Hancock":2x76yra6 said:
Could I just clarify the use of a roughing gouge as you expressed an interest in bowls and hollow forms. A roughing gouge should only be used for parallel grain/spindle turning and not for cross grain/bowl work. It is not designed for the stresses involved in bowl work being forged rather than milled from round bar. In an extreme case it can break at the tang. There is a movement at present to get it 'renamed' the spindle roughing gouge to try and avoid the confusion experience by beginners to turning.

Make sure you get a decent one. I inherited a cheap one and it bent at the tang. Needless to say it is no longer in use until I can think of a way to adapt it. It's scary enough as it is roughing a spindle without your gouge suddenly becoming a right angled gouge!!!

Back