Latest Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angell 62

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would make a "Major League Baseball" fan friend of mine a present. I downloaded the correct specs and went about sourcing some decent timber. Luckily the gentleman at Yandles were most helpful getting me a piece of 3x3x36" Maple.
Here are a few pics of its stages and the final product.

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5789.JPG
    IMG_5789.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_5790.JPG
    IMG_5790.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_5791.JPG
    IMG_5791.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5794.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 837
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 837
You should read "The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees" by Robert Penn. It apparently was serialised on BBC Radio 4. Essentially he cuts down an Ash tree and tries to make lots of different things from it explaining history of the items and design/manufacturing processes. One item is a baseball bat.
Quite a compelling read and very educational. Not all turning by any means but I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in wooden things.
You've done a good piece of work there but it doesn't look as good as the Louisville Slugger in my shed :)
Well done
Steve

That's certainly a big bat!

Are they really 36" long!?! No wonder they slog the c**p out of the ball

Really nice job. Make sure you sign it before you give it away.

What does it cost for a bit of maple that size?

I made a laminated one following online scale drawings. It was one of the first things I made. 33'' long. I'm sure there are a few different 'specs' for bat sizes iirc.

Took it to a neighbour, he pitched me a tennis ball and it BURST the tennis ball.

bbb.jpg

p.s. if you're keeping it in the car, also keep a ball and a glove with it, your lawyer will thank you. ;-)

Very nice job there, may I ask I you will be applying a finish to it?

gregmcateer":2m5ukjbh said:
That's certainly a big bat!

Are they really 36" long!?! No wonder they slog the c**p out of the ball

Really nice job. Make sure you sign it before you give it away.

What does it cost for a bit of maple that size?

Greg I got it from the good guys at Yandles for around £19 plus delivery of around £6. I know I could probably buy one cheaper hahaha.
finneyb":2m5ukjbh said:

That looks far beyond my skill level hahaha.

HappyPixie":2m5ukjbh said:
You should read "The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees" by Robert Penn. It apparently was serialised on BBC Radio 4. Essentially he cuts down an Ash tree and tries to make lots of different things from it explaining history of the items and design/manufacturing processes. One item is a baseball bat.
Quite a compelling read and very educational. Not all turning by any means but I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in wooden things.
You've done a good piece of work there but it doesn't look as good as the Louisville Slugger in my shed :)
Well done
Steve

Steve Ill give the book a look thankyou. I was gonna burn some writing into it but chickened out lol

AWG":2m5ukjbh said:
Very nice job there, may I ask I you will be applying a finish to it?

I applied 3 coats of Microcrystaline wax to it after sand sealer to 600 grit. I never intended it to be a practical piece even though it can be used haha.

NazNomad":2m5ukjbh said:
I made a laminated one following online scale drawings. It was one of the first things I made. 33'' long. I'm sure there are a few different 'specs' for bat sizes iirc.

Took it to a neighbour, he pitched me a tennis ball and it BURST the tennis ball.

p.s. if you're keeping it in the car, also keep a ball and a glove with it, your lawyer will thank you. ;-)

AWG how do I explain the barbwire around it??? lol it has been given as a gift mate. Yours looks very nice.

Back