Latest Piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece is made initially from sycamore for the form and was made to represent various philosophies I am including more and more in my work.

It is approximately 200 mm dia x 240 high.

It has taken me about six months to complete. ( not the time taken to make) but it has been developed slowly over time without rushing so that the organic process was in tandem of the organic appearance of the piece.

The initial idea for the base texture came from the nose of my dog. However it strayed some distance from this and was part of the process. Often if I rush to finish a piece then it is forced into a box/area I know I can achieve quickly. By allowing time for ideas to develop I often find my initial idea will take a different route.

The piece involves various metal foils and ageing techniques, artist grade acrylic paints, acrylic car paints, lichen, polymer clay and stone.

Not sure if it is finished or if it will stay on the stone base as it is. Time will tell, but the most difficult thing to do at time for me is to know when to stop before things become forced.

comments welcome. There is more info on my blog if anyone is interested in more info.

IMG_0188wow1.jpg

IMG_0187wi1.jpg

Well despite, or is it because, it took an age, it certainly achieved an aged appearance without any obvious semblance of being forced, will be interesting to see how the lichen fares over time and if the aging matures or melds back into obscurity.

Hi Mark,

For me, this is the future your work is destined to go in.

It captures the philosophies and ideas you hoped for in a way that is both inspiring and magical.

I will speak with you again in person about this piece.

A beauty!

Lee.

Hi Chas

Thank you for your comment.

I looked back through the pictures and I started this piece June 2010 so it has been a while in finishing. It has changed a great deal from my original sketches.

The lichen I am not sure but I expect it will lose some of its colour but not all very much like dried flowers. It has been sealed so that it is solid. But either way I am not concerned as it will just continue the idea behind the piece. All work will eventually disappear/change, alter or will be discarded.

Lee

Thank you I am glad you like it. Look forward to catching up.

Hi Mark

Not sure the lichen works for me :?

Love the shape / texturing / coloring / side of things including the base

The lichen :-k :-k :-k undecided

But thanks for showing us your work :wink:

I think the background colouration looks beautifully subtle, Mark.
I too am not sure about the lichen. I suspect that the impact of the piece "in the flesh" would be different from what we see on our computer monitors. It would be fascinating to see how it might change over a period of time.

Ian

Absolutely Awesome piece
Which in my mind raises a couple of questions (hope you dont mind)
1st Obviously a lot of thought has gone into this piece, Do you consider yourself as a woodturner or an artist with the pieces you do?
2nd What kind of dog have you got?

Lovely piece, Mark - I really like the lichen and the texturing on the form. Had you considered a stone with moss on it for the base?

Hi all

Thank you very much for taking the time to look and comment.

This piece is designed to project what it is without trying to be appealing, perfect, colourful, ugly, unbalanced, natural, unnatural. It is all of these things and whatever the viewer sees at the time.

When making it I was totally involved in the process and spent many many hours thinking about what to do before I touched the piece at each stage of making. Whether I again achieved what I was aiming to is not relevant to me, it was the process I was going through that is.

I do not say this to discount any comments from you about the piece as I enjoy all of them and all are relevant and I thank you for taking the time in commenting.

Some may like it some may not, Some may understand the background to the piece some may not. Whether the viewer or not understands what I was trying to do or not is only relevant to each individual and not me.

If it invokes pleasure this is good, distaste this is also good as it means it is engaging enough for you to consider it.

If any one is interested in understanding what I was "trying" to achieve there is more info on my blog. On the latest entry and also on the entry in relation to "Shedding the ego and being honest" and "Beginners mind" both of which are April 10 here

http://mark-fullcircle.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

I have to say I am in no way an expert on the subjects but this gives my view point in relation to the way I work day to day.

Yellowbelly

in answer. No I do not consider myself and artists as I do not consider this point any more as for me it is irrelevant. Others can decide if I am or not. I call myself a "creative maker" as I create ideas and make stuff :D :D

I have a lab cross springer and a lab cross whippet/collie.

mage

great to hear from you. I hope you are well.

It has been suggested in other forums that I may need to put some lichen/moss on the stone. I will certainly consider it. For now it is sat on the side giving me time to think about where I want it to go. May be the chimnea. :)

Thank you all again for taking the time to comment.

Mark
Another brilliant piece. I love the middle bit with the red, it just draws me in, almost like a cave. The lichen brings the whole thing to life. I just love the way you experiment and try these new concepts out, very inspiring as always.

Hi Dougie & Elaine

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Far Eastern influences in my work is never far away and I like to try new techniques and items to work with. It keeps me sane :)

Back