Late Christmas Present - and getting later

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
Excuse the moaning, but I have a Late Christmas present coming to me eventually from our good friends at RUTLANDS.
My mother asked what I would like and having the catalogue I duly ticked a few things and let her have it. She got my brother to order something over the internet in November last year and it was promised for some time in December. As time went by he got a bit worried and not hearing from them contacted them. Oh its out of stock,not due in until the beginning of January. This was explained to me and I said all right. Nothing appeared so he contacted them again, not due until the end of January now gov. We are in February now and still nothing from the b*&^%$"£s. What kind of circus are they running, cause from this end they appear to have sacked the ringmaster and allowed the clowns full reign. :x :x :x :x
And I still don't know what it is no one will tell me :lol:

Drew

I shall now climb down of me box, kick it, stop howling at the moon and retire to the bar

Hi Drew

I feel for you mate!

I ordered something from them and although the (very nice) catalogue explained that it would fit my tool, on opening it, it clearly wouldn't.

I paid £118 for the item inc pp etc. and when i called them to return the item, they admitted the fact that it was a mis print and would not fit, and would refund in full as it was their mistake, but they charged me a re stocking fee and also charged me for the carriage to return it to them.
To this day, i have only managed to get £85 back for what was their mis print....? I just hate being ripped off. If i had ordered by mistake, then i would accept the charges but it was THEIR mistake!

For what it's worth, they have lost my custom i'm afraid.

I feel better now it's out ... :lol: Anybody else want this soapbox!

Trading Standards!!! Works wonders in cases like yours. You have the incorrect description still I assume? Can't say where I work unfortunately, but if there is a customer complaint to trading standards, all of a sudden the customer is right and ends up with a refund and also a free replacement product. Quite often also 10% off other purchases too.

Is worth a try.

Martin

Yes, they are useless. I have had to wait months for orders in the past. In the end, I just cancelled and went elsewhere.

I just don't understand how they stay in business.

Maybe we should email them a link to this post. See if they get the message.

Slimjim81":1998l2c8 said:
Yes, they are useless. I have had to wait months for orders in the past. In the end, I just cancelled and went elsewhere.

I just don't understand how they stay in business.

Unlike Axminster who state if an item is or isn't instock it's a lotery of place your order and wait with your fingers crossed. I suppose 50% of all the orders I've placed with Rutlands have been out of stock for more than two weeks, one was three months, it is just not good enough :cry: On the positive side they have telephoned me on more than one occasion to ask if I want to wait and when an item is in stock I've received it within two days a the latest.

All this negative talk is Rutlands own doing simply because they dont state on the website what is out of stock. :x

One order I placed with Axminster included three(3) castor wheels & they rang me up to check that was the correct number.

I thought that was a nice touch as it could easily have been a typo.

Funnily enough, placed an order with them this morning. Got a call about an hour later to state that one of the items (a small bottle of Titebond 2, of all things) was out of stock, but the others, which were much more obscure and much larger in size were in stock and will be here tomorrow. We'll see.

Over the years I've had similar problems but they have, generally, sorted them out pretty quickly. One real fubar they did cough to should have ended my relationship with them then and there, but that strangely alluring catalogue has me in its mesmerising grip I suppose. Having had something like £850 torn from my credit card within seconds of making the phone call, and having heard nothing subsequently, I rang them a fortnight later to find out where my item was. Aaaah, they said. Hmmm. We have looked in to it and it seems we forgot to send the order off to Elektra Beckum. It seems they had no system in place to make them realise that I'd paid them £850 and then they'd done nothing with it. On the upside within 24 hours of the phone call it arrived.

They do stock some items that are quite hard to get elsewhere and their prices have become more competitive lately. I only work 10 minutes from their HQ, but they won't let you nip in and collect the stuff, which seems a shame as it'd save everyone time and money.

Jim

jim2007":3nrknqgb said:
Funnily enough, placed an order with them this morning. Got a call about an hour later to state that one of the items (a small bottle of Titebond 2, of all things) was out of stock, but the others, which were much more obscure and much larger in size were in stock and will be here tomorrow. We'll see.Jim

Hmm, interesting, 'cos I placed an order for Titebond 2 this afternoon and they telephoned within an hour to tell me is was out of stock, and was expected at the end of next week. I did think that was better than previously, where they hold your entire up for some mssing item. Fortunately they did have the Titebond 3 which I also ordered. So all is not lost.

Adam

I've had trouble with Rutlands too....phoned up to check if they had stock of the 150mm Festool sander......yes we do have stock says the nice lady, so I placed the order and waited.....and waited....then I phoned up, it'll be with you on Friday! So I took the day off.....nothing came by mid afternoon, so I phoned up....the nice lady then said they didn't have anystock, so I cancelled my order and have never been back.

SimonA

Thanks everyone for the replies.
RinkyDinky I agree with the others you must have a case for getting all your money back from them.

Just an update to let you know I still don't have anything from Rutlands the b******s, may all their balls turn square and fester at the corners. My brother contacted them and was told the shipment missed the container and they weren't quite sure when it would arrive.
If I gave that type of service to customers I would expect to disappear below the waves without a trace. I'm glad it's him dealing with them because I would have blown my stack on the phone. He spoke to a lass and told me she sounded apologetic and it's not their fault. I feel sorry for the lass he mentioned having to placate customers, but it is their fault and the blame must lie squarely with them. They took money for an order and crossed their fingers that it would come through. In that position after all this time I would have had the shipment flown over to try and regain some semblance of respectability.
Sorry for the rant but rutlands are just like ammonia to me, they get straight up my nose.

climbs of the box kicks yet another hole in it and retires to bar.

Oh and I still don't know what the pressie is. :lol: :lol:

Drew

I paid £118 for the item inc pp etc. and when i called them to return the item, they admitted the fact that it was a mis print and would not fit, and would refund in full as it was their mistake, but they charged me a re stocking fee and also charged me for the carriage to return it to them.

In my book charging a restocking fee is just plain theft as it was clearly their fault. I've just diverted an order from Rutlands and will not consider giving an order to them again until I hear that they have given you a full refund. I dont think they hold stocks of items from the likes of Festool and Sheppach etc as in the past the deliveries have come direct from the Manufacturer when I've ordered through Rutland. I think directing Rutlands attention to this thread is a good idea.

BG,

Quote:

In my book charging a restocking fee is just plain theft as it was clearly their fault. I've just diverted an order from Rutlands and will not consider giving an order to them again until I hear that they have given you a full refund. I dont think they hold stocks of items from the likes of Festool and Sheppach etc as in the past the deliveries have come direct from the Manufacturer when I've ordered through Rutland. I think directing Rutlands attention to this thread is a good idea.

mmm. whats this then? Rutlands where are you :roll:

Cheers

Mike

It's a real shame. Rutlands stock (maybe I'm using that word a little generously) some good stuff, but it's because of posts like this that I've never bought a thing from them - not a sausage. And I'm not likely too either - whether they are forum members or not.
Cheers

Just to give you an update. My pressie arrived today - not bad only three %^&*$£" months late. Was there a note of apology with it, no nothing just the tool in a package. So for my christmas wish I hope that when the annual general meeting of the company happens the door locks jam and a shower of reindeer rubbish mysteriously fills all the rooms to within a 1/2 inch of the ceiling and with their last dying breaths they hear HO HO HO merry christmas from Drew.

Drew

Ps it was a (made a mistake here not a kreg) dakota pockethole jig and a dakota honing jig, excellent or what. So Merry Christmas to one and all except them at rutlands who can't even be bothered to get of their lazy a***s and issue an apology :ho2 :deer :deer

Just to balance things up a bit;

I've only bought off Rutlands the once - a set of German hornbeam handled chisels which arrived last week 16 hours after I ordered them.

Great chisels and excellent service.

I may just have been lucky but I can only speak as I find...

Back