Largest project to date. Kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at kitchens recently and my thought on this was absolute minimum of 8.5-9k just based on your labour and materials. Would not have been surprised at 10-12k plus. Very nice job. Really like that look. My MIL has a handmade kitchen. Came in at over 25k (inc. Appliances) and I like yours better. Only thing I prefer is a different shape for a layout to get the 'work triangle' but I guess not something that you have much influence in this case.

I understand why you bid low, and I'm sure it was very useful experience that's taught you plenty and given you loads of confidence. But you've made a rod for your own back in that this client will now recommend you to their friends...but they'll share the price and unfortunately it's not viable in the long term.

Now that you're up and running you absolutely must focus on raising your prices. You dodged a bullet really, if you'd hit a few snags along the way, or been delayed by the other trades or factors beyond your control, then you could have been nursing a nasty loss.

You're worth more than £8.7k!

Good luck.

Just fitted a hand made kitchen from an online company, carcass was 18mm oak veneered mdf, 9mm mdf back, tulip wood face frame and doors with mdf panel. All units were unfinished, client has to varnish inside and paint doors. Cost of one 1000mm Base unit with 2 doors and one shelf was £499.00. And this was considered cheap by the company and the two clients who I have fitted them for.

Thanks gentlemen. Building another one in January, very small this time. Melamine mdf carcasses with the same style fronts attached. Birchply drawer boxes. Oak tops. This time all my carcass material has been cut by Avonplywood and the shelves lipped, goes together so well. All of my mdf less than £450 including vat with 18mm backs. I'll try and document it as I go.
Many thanks

mahomo59":34h2ijyj said:
Two coats of Morrells WB primer and one hand coat followed by two spray coats, 20% sheen colour matched lacquer to Farrow & Ball Cornforth White.

I was interested in your painting procedure. Assuming all the paint you used was Morrells, why did you do the first topcoat by hand? I understood that their WB paint is not suitable for brushing (and when I have tried even the tiniest little touch up, it does seem v streaky.

Also, what did you think of the colour match - I have had Cornforth White from Morrells in 20% WB and whilst the paint is fine, to my eye it just does not look the same as the real F&B thing. Would be interested to know what the customers thought (of course, the overall look of what you did is fabulous, I am only thinking about the final colour effect).

Cheers

No problem with colour match from customers and have done several F&B colours now.

Hand coat is more for the hand painted look, I don't like just sprayed. Agree that it goes on streaky, but you do stand a better chance of touching up than if you didn't put brush marks in.

Mind if I ask how many sheets of ply you ended up using for the whole project? Looking to take on something similar in my kitchen soon- hope you wont mind if I borrow a few design pointers, it looks great.

Great job and to reiterate what Custard has said "your worth more than £8.7k". If I had known you only charged that sort of price I would have put you in touch with my parents!

Look forward to seeing your next kitchen project.

Haha thanks guys. I can't quite remember sheet quantities, I ordered 12 x 18mm birch at the beginning and used no more, I'm sure of it. Cut it up all myself with parallel guides and MFT. Only because I didn't submit a cutting list in time to Avonplywood (who now stock lacquered birch both side).
Few sheets of 9mm for the door panels. Pretty much £1k for sheets and popular. Hope this helps

mahomo59":3ezu583m said:
Haha thanks guys. I can't quite remember sheet quantities, I ordered 12 x 18mm birch at the beginning and used no more, I'm sure of it. Cut it up all myself with parallel guides and MFT. Only because I didn't submit a cutting list in time to Avonplywood (who now stock lacquered birch both side).
Few sheets of 9mm for the door panels. Pretty much £1k for sheets and popular. Hope this helps

Fantastic- thanks for letting me know. Now off to find my tracksaw...

Looks amazing! Very well done. What material did you use to make the doors and how thick are they?

Latest posts

Back