Largest project to date. Kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahomo59

Established Member
Reaction score
My first FULL kitchen build and install. I have previously installed lots of kitchens, yet this is the first one I've designed and built.
Carcasses are have been made from Birch ply with Morrells 20% lacquer. Full sheets of 8x4 cut with festool plunge, seneca parrallel guides and mft table.
Face frames are Popular 36mm across the face and 27mm deep, screwed together and pocket holed onto the cabinets, all flush on the inside apart from the to as this under hangs.
Doors are 70mm x 27mm with a 9mm panel and 10mm domino. Solid drawn 63mm butt hinges morticed into door only. 5mm diameter magnets sunk into frame and door to aid the door staying closed, works really well. Oak drawer boxes with blum under mount runners. Cornice made in two pieces with a bull nose bit, then glued and screwed. Two coats of Morrells WB primer and one hand coat followed by two spray coats, 20% sheen colour matched lacquer to Farrow & Ball Cornforth White. All plinths, end panels etc are also Birchply. Appliances are Bosch and Worktops arranged by customer. About 4-5 weeks build and three days to install.
Wish they'd get a new fridge freezer. Couple of odd things left to do, but they are away on holiday for a fortnight now and wanted the house locked up. Biggest learning curve...not being organised enough!

Very, very nice job, and well finished too! They ought to be very Delighted, (And change that f/freezer)!
Would you say the birch ply is just as stable as MDF?
Regards Rodders

Yes very stable and stronger. Only went with birch as I fit for a kitchen company and that's what they use... Just copied really. It is nice to work with and I think it looks lovely when lacquered. Only been able to offer this size of project just recently as I now rent a unit. And what fun I'm having too! Need a spray booth el rapido.

I like that a lot. Especially the straight lines, even gaps, use of butt hinges, and proportions to suit the room.

Looks terrific - manufacture and spray finish. =D>

Just out of curiosity, why make the doors 27mm thick (versus, say 18mm)? A design choice or strength or...?

Cheers guys, really enjoyed it.

Birchply Avonplywood BB Grade £66 inc vat

27mm better for butt hinge, and the 9mm panel is centred.

Looks good, my only input would be to say if you did the bifold frame unit as only sides and a top then anything on the work surface can just be pushed into them rather than lifted and you still see the granite when open. We suggest clients put kettles, toasters in these so things can be quickly tidied up.

doctor Bob":2aughms4 said:
Looks good, my only input would be to say if you did the bifold frame unit as only sides and a top then anything on the work surface can just be pushed into them rather than lifted and you still see the granite when open. We suggest clients put kettles, toasters in these so things can be quickly tidied up.

A smart tip, i'll remember that :)

Also, what is the reason for only morticing the hinge into the door and not the frame, I must be missing something?

Not bad think I could have had more, but didn't want to be greedy and it was my first full build.
Dare I say...how much would you guys put on it?

^^^^^^^

Sorry guys, shouldn't have put that comment asking for your price! I now see the errors my way. I charged £8.7k

That is incredibly cheap (I'm assuming you didn't supply the appliances and worktops at that price ) But an excellent learning experience for you no doubt.

Back