Large Silver Birch burr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear members,

I cut down a large Silver Birch tree last week and discovered a large burr on a limb. This is free to a good home provided that you can collect from Cheltenham. I would like to see someone make a beautifully figured piece from it. Hence I'll select the best 'plan' from any responders! Photos with shovel and my knee for scale:

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

Cheers,
C

Ill be driving past in a few weeks, if noones had it before then I'd love to, but first come first served of course

I would have loved this & am close enough to collect but I'm not sure I could do it justice.

Robbo3":hj0f96kt said:
I would have loved this & am close enough to collect but I'm not sure I could do it justice.
I've been offered a few potentially nice burrs Robbo, felt exactly the same and turned them down. Odd really. I think you should take up Chris's kind offer if you can and see where it leads.

Birch burr’s have a beautiful grain pattern, the below photo was a bowl i turned a while back from a small silver birch burr. Would love to see what someone does with this big one. Whoever gets it make sure you post your creation :D

cd3fb4f2a0d49bd9063fb82ed9b55213.jpg

They are also sought after for carving kuksas, traditional scandinavian drinking cups, knife handles/scales, veneers for boxes etc and of course bowls, probably some other things I've missed too ?!!

Not local unfortunately otherwise would have loved to have had it off you :)

Thank you so much Chris. It was a pleasure to meet you.

I have squared off the ends of the holly & silver birch & wrapped the ends in cling film to slow the moisture loss so that hopefully they don't crack.

chris_d":249xvvap said:
Hi Dokkodo,

Are you willing to let Robbo have it?

Cheers,
C

Sorry, forgot about this, yes of course, glad its being made use of! im sure there'll be more burrs out there...

Latest posts

Back