Large Hadron Collider

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no-one has yet told us that the world will end next week when CERN turns on the Large Hadron Collider...

A quote from Smudge on another post

We're doooomed I tell ye!
Doomed! :lol: :lol:

Anyone watch the stuff on BBC 4 last night - very interesting!!

I saw both programmes last night - it's fascinating that if the experiment works, it'll take us a huge step nearer to understanding the universe. Even more fascinating is the prospect of it failing! I got the impression that Prof Brian Cox was half hoping it would fail.

Incidentally, there's a succinct quote from Prof Cox in today's Telegraph about people who fear the LHC will destroy the world:

"Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a pineapple."

:lol:

Gill

Hi Lurker,

lurker":13q7zbfg said:
We're doooomed I tell ye! Doomed! :lol: :lol:

I've been following this project for quite some time and I am really excited by it.

I believe in it so much, that if anyone thinks that it will create a black hole AND destroy the earth I will offer them odds of a thousand to one on it happening (minimum bet of a hundred pounds). There will be no maximum value on an individual bet and it is open to everyone.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I'm with you on the LHC .........but I have spotted a flaw in your cunning betting plan!!!!!!

(If you are right you don't pay anything.........if you're wrong you don't pay anything either, as we're all dead, including you!!!!)

Mike

Gill":20khotte said:

Gill

Sounds like a scientist trying to get his point over to the lay public. :lol: :lol:

I've been honoured to work with some eminent UK scientists and have rubbed shoulders with them since I was 17. Generally they are a nice normal bunch of folks.

When young Cox appeared on the box last night my exact thoughts were "conceited pineapple". No doubt he is a clever bloke :wink:

there is however a vvery very very small risk that LHC will create a black hole - this infitesimally small but still possible.

normally in risk assessment you look at the scale of the risk as well as the probability

so a very large risk with a very small probability should be debarred just as much as a smaller risk with a larger probability

Hi Mike,

Mike Garnham":1dbzm5ph said:
Neil,

I'm with you on the LHC .........but I have spotted a flaw in your cunning betting plan!!!!!!

(If you are right you don't pay anything.........if you're wrong you don't pay anything either, as we're all dead, including you!!!!)

Mike

Ahh, you weren't supposed to tell anyone. :wink:

Cheers,
Neil

I have been intrigued by the dedication to a theory that many show since visits to Harwell (atomic reactor and accelerator) 50 odd years ago, how someone has the patience and dedication to a cause, that can, and often does lead to a dead end over a period of years is a source of admiration for me.

Standing in front of particle detectors and seeing the count displays of particles constantly passing through you from outside the earth puts a different perspective on life, seeing people trying to catch them for study was fascinating.

Having seen the energy consumed by the then state of the art accelerator to contain the plasma stream I am glad I am not directly picking up the current bill for this little toy.

Gill":57d1eu0a said:
Incidentally, there's a succinct quote from Prof Cox in today's Telegraph about people who fear the LHC will destroy the world:

The same quote is in the Radio Times as well.

Also the vaguely interesting factlet that when he was studying a Manchester Uni he worked in the lab in the day and then walked up to G-Mex to play keyboards for "Things can only get better" D:Ream when they supported Take That...

On the birght side, if the experiment fails and we all disappear into a black hole we'll probably never know :)

If it's going to be a hole I hope it's a black one and not a fairly "minor" one - I only live ten miles away! :?

Its very very exiting what where going to find out! (not if the world ends that is, that's just stupid)

They are hoping to produce evidence in support of the Higg's Boson Laura but I see others are already claiming the honour.

Roy.

Digit":28l0eaku said:
They are hoping to produce evidence in support of the Higgs Boson Laura but I see others are already claiming the honour.

Roy.
Yes I know that, I meant what will they found out in favor for or not, and what's next after that?

True, every particle seems to be made up of or controlled by yet another particle.

Roy.

CHJ":2swvvteg said:
Having seen the energy consumed by the then state of the art accelerator to contain the plasma stream I am glad I am not directly picking up the current bill for this little toy.

Having seen my power bill for this month I think I am paying for it! :evil:

I must have missed this program but it sounds interesting is this a particle accelerator the scientists have built? Pity they can't get the hang of building a worm hole and then we could buy our tools from the states without the heavy import duties they put on them. :lol:

Gill":24os5f74 said:

Gill
That's the problem. Media coverage has made "everyone" an ill-informed expert :roll: and when the papers talk about black hole creation (I am sure it will create many), they think this means a huge entity that will 'suck in everything around it' :roll:

I've been reading about the LHC in New Scientist since it's inception and as a scientist who has studied (and taught) physics for over 20 years, boy am I excited about possible finding the Higgs at last [-o<

Latest posts

Back