Laptop purchase help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking to purchase a laptop around the £300 mark and have found a couple which i quite like however they have different processors and wondered if anyone could recommend whch is better.
The processors are the AMD Phenom II N660 3GHz vs the Intel Core i3-370 2.4GHz. The Intel one has an Integrated Intel GMA HD graphics card whereas the AMD has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4200 card. Both laptops are ASUS which i also dont knw much about, ie if any good etc.

Apart from the above both laptops are fairly similar, links below:

http://www.ebuyer.com/267478-asus-k52n-laptop-k52n-ex366v
http://www.ebuyer.com/267479-asus-k52f-laptop-k52f-ex635v

Although if the Intel Core is better is it worth the extra £40?

Can anyone provide any advise with regards to the best to choose or is there much difference between these?

Cheers

Not much to choose between them really. The AMD cpu is a little more powerful (although not as much as the difference in clock speed might suggest), and the dedicated graphics card is (in my opinion) always worth having over the integrated Intel option), so I'd go for that one and pocket the £40 saving.

I have had both types of graphics card and the integrated are pretty poor in comparison to a dedicated card. Depends what you what to do with your laptop but I would go for the dedicated graphics card option.

The quality of AMD and intel now days are virtually the same. Intel have been know to publish there processors at a speed slightly higher then there actually capable of but I doubt there doing it anymore. Its known that an Intel will cost twice as much as the same spec AMD model so I normally go for AMD.

Dedicated graphics card is always far better than an onboard GPU. With onboard GPU's you tend to lose some ram as they use the systems ram not there own. May not always be the case but its worth remembering.

AMD with ATI card if you ask me.

If its any help the laptop im using has the same graphics card as the one your looking at other than its the 3200 model. Mine is really good so that one should be better.

Thanks for all the replies folks, that confirms it for me as the AMD one is the one i was leaning more towards.
Cheers

Back