Lacquer Application

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I want to use clear lacquer on brass. The application is on 12" diameter hoops--1" wide--1" deep.
To spray or to brush?
If brushed would that leave brush marks?
If using a spraycan there are a few makes to consider--any recommendations?

The last time I lacquered brass, I did it by dipping - obviously not applicable in your case. If it is the Rustins stuff, then they recommend using a soft brush. I used a squirrel-mop when I coated a large light fitting.. And you do get a smooth surface.

At the risk of stating the obvious, with 12" hoops, there is a danger of the lacquer starting to dry, before you reach the back end of where you started - unless of course you set out out in both directions around the hoop.

In this case spraying may well be quicker and easier, though I would check that the spray is suitable for bare non-ferrous metal. Also you will need a way of supporting the work so that it does not compromise the freshly lacquered surface .Hanging stuff off the washing line with wire or cotton thread is my favoured method :confused:

Back