Kress?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf78uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any experiance with their tools? Or Ryobi or Erbauer? Which would you go for but opinions on all would be greatly recieved

Had Ryobi tools (drill/ driver and a battery circular saw ) about ten years ago when I was fitting Kitchens. Good hard-wearing kit at a reasonable price , not as good as the top end stuff, but you wouldnt expect it to be given the difference in price

Years ago I had a Kress mains drill. It was great, never had any trouble with it until somone stole it!

I've had a few Ryobi tools and would agree with the above. They are good solid tools at a good price.

I have an Erbaur biscuit jointer and it's absolutely rubbish!

Cheers
Mike

I have a few Ryobi tools imo they are worth the little extra money compared to Erbauer. They are fine for my faily light hobby woodworking use. I have a detail sander, leccy planer and a 1/2" router. The router is nicer to use than my small 1/4" Makita one. I used to have a brush cutter too and that was superb for the money.

Some of Ryobi's stuff is surprisingly good. I was over the moon with the 1/2" router.

Kress routers seem to be favoured in the DIY CNC building world. German IIRC and known for good solid quality. Expensive tho, I think.

I have quite a few of the ryobi 18v one plus, 7 or 8 tools, 8 batteries 3 mains chargers and one charger for the van. I had one problem with the caulk gun when one week old. Was replaced and have had no other problems. The ni cads are getting tired now the oldest ones are 2005 so I don't think they've done bad. Will start updating batteries with the ions at some point. So from my point of view I think they are great tools with a sensible price.

I have been using a Kress router motor mounted in a Proxxon drill stand as an overhead router for about 3 years and it is solid,powerful and reliable.
Several years ago they used to supply a line of power tools to Wickes and a number of these are still made by Kress . If you get a Kress catalogue you can often recognize which of the Wickes tools are in fact Kress just from the photos so there are some good secondhand bargains out there.I recently bought a Kress plunge router branded as Wickes on Ebay (which had been stored unused for several years) for £25. New the motor alone would have cost over £100.
There is now a UK agent for Kress and you can get his details from Kress by email via their english language website http://www.kress-elektrik.com/en/index.php.
For Kress router products I have found Damen CNC in The Netherlands to be very reliable suppliers.

Turnerbc, would love to see a pic of your overhead router setup?

Marchant Dice UK sell the Kress model that they use in the CNC's

Hi Wizer,
Cant get my head around posting photos on this forum even after reading the instructions so if you send me your email address I will send you some.
It is basically a Proxxon BFB 2000 mill/drill unit with a Proxxon KT150 compound table on which I have mounted a Groz machine vice ( bought this from Axminster under their own brand name) and a Kress 800w variable speed router motor ( from DAMEN CNC). The original drill unit column was only 500mm tall so I replaced it with a 750mm section of 45mm dia chrome plated Pole Dancing Pole bought from Vertical Leisure ( yes - I am not joking I is called "X pole " . If I get fed up with woodworking I can always try exotic dancing.
The set up gives me a good range of XYZ axis movement of the work piece and as the Kress motor is variable speed I have milled aluminium, brass, perspex and wood very sucessfuly. It is a very accurate set up. Kress do an extensive range of collet sizes from 2mm up to 8mm with a 1/4" for those who have not metricated.
I use other home made router tables for specific jobs but it is a set up as versatile as your imagination.
Regards,
Barry

Back