kreg pocket hole jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Daft question - but can you use normal screws for the Kreg pocket hole jigs or do you need special Kreg screws?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Kreg-Mini-Kit-Pocket-Hole-Jig-22519.htm

I have a large amount of studding to do and for a number of reasons do not want to be banging 4 inch nails into the studs (mainly space or lack of it to swing a hammer). For £16 this would ensure good strong joins between the plates and studs in tight corners but if I have to buy special screws as well then it becomes expensive.

Cheers,

Steve

You need screws with a flat under the head so I guess you could use a round head woodscrew. The Kreg screws will have less tendency to split the wood yo are screwing into.
If you use a countersunk screw then there is a risk of splitting the part with the pocket in it.

Bob

Kreg screws will also 'Drill' their way through, if you haven't got the setup bang on and don't go right through when drilling, rather than tear or split the Wood.
I tried coarse Pan Head self tappers but they didn't seem quite as secure as the Kreg screws.

Can you not just use say a 5mm drill and drill on the skew and then use 75mm screws. I often do that when I don't want to hammer in older properties were too much vibration could loosen old lath & plaster. Nail gun is the other option.

Jason

jasonB":21tnry97 said:
Can you not just use say a 5mm drill and drill on the skew and then use 75mm screws.

Jason

Didn't read the OP properly. :oops:

That's exactly what I usually do, I wouldn't have used the Kreg to do it.

jasonB":144h97r1 said:
Can you not just use say a 5mm drill and drill on the skew and then use 75mm screws. I often do that when I don't want to hammer in older properties were too much vibration could loosen old lath & plaster. Nail gun is the other option.

Jason

DITTO, I have a Kreg jig but I wouldnt use it for studwork theres no need, as Jason says just skew drill and screw with normal screws, use a quick clamp if need be to hold the stud in position.

If you shell out for a box of Riesser Cutter Screws (sp?) you don't even need to drill a pilot hole. Can save a lot of hassle even if they are a bit dear compared to normal screws.

:-k Yes, suppose I could just screw at an angle with normal screws. I tend to find when doing this I always drill too close to the end of the timber and have a less than perfect result but with the number I have to do practice should make perfect! I always seem to fail to get the joints pulled tight as well, but guess if I ensure to drill through one and into the other then it should work Will mull it over for a while. Tis only CLS but I want it to be strong and last well.

Steve

Obviously the fixings are important but also cutting accurately and square give the joints the best chance of holding.

Don't get your CLS from B&Q unless you select every piece

Good Luck

Bob

If you just drill the first piece of timber clearance for the screw then it will pull up a lot better than a tight pilot or no pilot hole. I tend to use a 5mm hole and 5.0x70 screws.

And if you cut the studs & noggins the right length there really should not be any gaps to pull closed, best to be able to tap the timber into place and have it firm.

Jason

Back