Kreg and Dakota Pocket Hole Guide Systems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to be coming across these pocket hole guide systems all over the net, magazines, and I have even seen His Normness using them once or twice. So I have to ask are they any good?

One reason for my enquiry is my local school had a fire in the science lab and I offered to replace a bank of lower cabinets for them and I was thinking that one of the above systems may be an ideal way to speed up the job, because it has to be finished over a weekend.

Has anyone used this type of fixing and if so which kit do you recommend?

Rutlands has this one on offer
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKT23

Is this a good price?

I noticed that they are square drive screws, do all the kits use this type of screw or are there other types?

Cheers

Mike

I've got the Trend one,which is about £50,so that seems like a good price.
Axminster and Brimarc (amongst others) sell the Kreg systems - all seem to have square drive,flathead screws.
1 1/4" screws for 18mm boards,1" screws for 12mm.
And yes,I think pocket holes are great - you can glue and screw a joint,and it is held securely instantly (no need to clamp) so great time-saver.

Andrew

Hi Mike I have used the Kreg model and found them great once you get used to its foibles but it is easy to use and strong plus quick

The kits supply screws for only limited sizes of wood course or fine thread
for soft /hardwood
but I found there are many sizes available but not stocked by all
plated screws are available for outside use

square drive screws with a shoulder are used as the driver needs to be thin and that saves cam out

Nigel

i have recently bought the kreg and it is a great piece of kit. could be used, well almost everywhere!! the kreg is pretty foolproof with aq great instruction book. people have said the cheaper jigs guides are not very hard. but at that price............seem very cheap, unusual for rutlands!

Hi All,
I too have the Kreg and like it a lot.

BUT... does anyone find that sometimes you have to 'offset' the joint just a gnats to allow it to pull level on tightening?

I use the Kreg clamps and this makes it easier but sometimes there will be a little very annoying movement - or is it just me :oops: ?
regards,
Martin

No its not just you Martin that was what I meant about its foibles you do have to tweak things sometimes and not trust the clamp

Nigel

mahking51":27vlotxs said:
I use the Kreg clamps and this makes it easier but sometimes there will be a little very annoying movement - or is it just me :oops: ?
regards,
Martin

Nope...it happens to me. I use the fence on my table saw to keep the two faces tightly together and to stop slipping when I screw them up.

When I was making up my drawer set to go under the workbench I had to remake quite a few of them as even when clamping them up they did wander a little.

I find the kreg clamps next to useless as even if you clamp one set of holes together, the bit that you REALLY want to stop wandering while you screw it together is the one that you are screwing together...and you can't get the clamp in as there's a screw there!

But still wouldn't be without the pocket hole jig!

Another vote for the kreg here, I did a mini-review of of the kit a little while ago, i'm sure you can find it with the search. It's an excellent quality kit, easy to use and makes strong joints.

I'll be making a new kitchen soon so will have lots of cabinets to make and i'm actually looking forward to it with the ease that the kreg brings.

I was looking at a movie of some guy using Kreg stuff recently, though annoyingly I cannot now find the link. However one of the things he kept emphasising was that, when trying to attach two pieces together with a flush face, it is important to clamp the face nearest to parallel to the screw, of the piece of timber that does not have the pocket hole, to a flat, solid surface and then insert the screws (I hope that is clear). That way the movements are controlled so that you more or less guarantee that the faces will finish up flush. He was using a slab of metal (steel?) with a clamp attached that had the Kreg logo on it, so I guess it is a Kreg accessory.

I haven't tried this yet, but will certainly be doing so next time I use pocket screws.

The problem is not having used one these systems before I really do not know what I am looking at, but as far as I can see the £93.99 Kreg kit at Axminster seems nearly the same as the £39 one at Rutlands, which common sense tells me cannot be so. By the same I mean the actual parts you get in the kits.

Below are the various kits so can anyone please tell me which Kreg kit is closer to the Dakota.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKT23

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

Thank you all for your help

Mike

I bought the Rutlands set when they introduced it over a year ago at £29.95, the problem at the time is they didn't have one. I waited for over three months for it during which time they email and telephoned me several times to see if I wanted to cancel the order, I hung it out. When it was delivered I noticed they had the selling price at £59.95, no wonder they wanted me to canel :lol: Comparing it to the kreg it is worth £59.95 at £39.95 it's a steal. I'd say go for the Rutlands (Dakota) set. I think the Kreg is over priced compared to how much you get with this Rutlands set.

Mike

I have the Kreg Master system. Looking at the Dakota system from Rutlands and having used the Kreg my immediate thoughts are that you get what you pay for.

The Kreg is a well-rounded system. For example, it has the following features:

• clamping action from the front..not the rear.
    three hole positions in the jig giving you consideranly more scope for getting the holes where you want them with the minimum of fuss and often without having to unclamp, move the stock, reclamp
    the vertical adjustment (needed to accomodate different stock thicknesses) is calibrated on the unit. I suspect the range of movement is greater that the dakota but cannot vouch for that
    each time you use different stock thicknesses you need to adjust the collar on the drill bit to suit. On the Kreg there are two set-up jigs clearly labelled built into the bottom of the main unit. It's a doddle and so quick to do.
    You get an extra hole jig with the Kreg for making holes in inaccessible places
    Big bonus is the dust extraction on the kreg is first rate...non-existent on the Dakota
    Can't comment on how many screws you get with the Dakota vs the Kreg but they're not cheap.

Hope that helps

Thanks very much guys. The Dakota system certainly looks good value for money, but Roger makes some very good points in favour of the Kreg.

It's the little things such as the dust extraction point that makes me think that Kreg have put a lot of thought into their system, and IMHO if it was not for the £60 price difference Kregs K3 Master Jig would win hands down.

Anyway guys, once again thank you very much for your help, and I will let you know which one I get.

Cheers

Mike

Ditto everything Roger has said about the K3 Master kit. Personally I wouldn't touch the Dakota. The Kreg K3 Master kit is well engineered, well designed. You'll not regret going for it and as Roger has mentioned the front clamping lever is so handy (and logical) when pocket screwing a large, wide panel. No fathing around trying to find a lever that's out of sight. And the dust collection is a big bonus.

Latest posts

Back